Hidalgo is a 2004 epic biographical western film based on the legend of the American distance rider Frank Hopkins and his mustang Hidalgo. It recounts Hopkins racing his horse in Arabia in 1891 against Bedouins riding pure-blooded Arabian horses. The movie was written by John Fusco and directed by Joe Johnston. It stars Viggo Mortensen, Zuleikha Robinson, and Omar Sharif. Hidalgo was released by Buena Vista Pictures on March 5, 2004. Upon release, the film received mixed reviews and was a box office disappointment, grossing $108 million against budget of $100 million.
ⓘ 1890 in film
- The first moving pictures were developed on celluloid film by William Friese Greene, a British inventor, in Hyde Park, London in 1889. The process was patented in 1890.
- William K. L. Dickson completes his work for Thomas Edison on the Kinetograph cylinder either in this year or 1889. Monkeyshines No. 1 becomes the first film shot on the system.
- Londons Trafalgar Square, directed by William Carr Croft and Wordsworth Donisthorpe.
- Traffic in Kings Road, Chelsea, directed by William Friese-Greene.
- Mosquinha, directed by Etienne-Jules Marey.
- Monkeyshines, No. 1 – contradictory sources indicate this was shot either in June 1889 or November 1890, Monkeyshines, No. 2 and Monkeyshines, No. 3, directed by William K. L. Dickson.
- June 16 – Stan Laurel, British actor died 1965
- February 17 - Sol Lesser, American producer died 1980
- June 14 – May Allison, American actress died 1989
- May 23 – Herbert Marshall, British actor died 1966
- August 27 – Man Ray, American photographer and director died 1976
- February 18 – Adolphe Menjou, American actor died 1963
- January 10 – Pina Menichelli, Italian actress died 1984
- Naima Wifstrand, Swedish singer, actress, composer and director died 1968
- January 30 – Bruno Kastner, German actor died 1932
- September 4
- August 2 – Marin Sais, American actress died 1971
- February 24 – Marjorie Main, American actress died 1974
- June 18 – Gideon Wahlberg, Swedish actor, screenwriter and film director died 1948
- June 10 – William A. Seiter, American film director died 1964
- Gunnar Sommerfeldt, Danish actor and director died 1947
- October 1
- Stanley Holloway, British actor died 1982
- Alice Joyce, American actress died 1955
- October 2 – Groucho Marx, American comedian, actor died 1977
- c. December 21 – Johanne Luise Heiberg, Danish Actress, dies at 78 born 1812
- c. September 16 – Louis Le Prince, French film pioneer, director of Roundhay Garden Scene born 1842