ⓘ Grafton, Vermont

                                     

ⓘ Grafton, Vermont

The town was founded as Thomlinson, but renaming rights were auctioned in 1791. The high bidder, who reportedly offered "five dollars and a jug of rum," changed the name to Grafton after his home town of Grafton, Massachusetts. Possibly as a result of having celebrated a bit too much with the rum some say it was hard cider, the money was never collected.

In the early 19th century, sheep farming became popular and several woolen goods jumped along the branches of the Saxtons river. Soapstone was quarried on nearby Bear mountain. The town became a notable stagecoach hub for traffic across the green mountains into Albany, new York. One INN from that era, "the old tavern" was established in 1801. It remains one of the oldest continuously operating hotels in the United States.

Grafton had a population of almost 1.500 just before the American Civil war. The city suffered heavy losses during the Civil war. Local cemeteries in the village hold many of the tombstones of the victims of the battle of Gettysburg. After the war the community declined in population. The soapstone quarry was exhausted and closed at the end of the 19th century. During the great Depression, the citys population was less than 400.

In 1960-e years the Windham Foundation was created to help restore the village. He bought an old tavern and many of the residences in the area. The Foundation has also established a home cheese business, Grafton village cheese company, and has built world-class cross-country skiing center at Grafton ponds that offers a popular program, mountain Biking for kids in the summer months. The restoration work involved the new residents of Metropolitan new York and Boston.

                                     
  • The Grafton Post Office is a historic former post office building at 205 Main Street in Grafton Vermont Built in 1855 in the Greek Revival style, it
  • The Grafton Public Library is located at 204 Main Street in Grafton Vermont It is located in the historic Butterfield House, an elegant early 19th - century
  • of one of the early industrial areas of Grafton Vermont Located a short way east of Grafton Village on Vermont Route 121, it includes ten well - preserved
  • Park Farm is a historic farm property at 26 Woodchuck Hill Road in Grafton Vermont With a farmhouse dating to about 1820, and most of its outbuildings
  • Grafton Village Cheese Company is a cheesemaker in the town of Grafton in the U.S. state of Vermont The company produces hand - crafted aged cheddar cheese
  • Grafton New York Grafton North Dakota Grafton Ohio Grafton Utah, a ghost town Grafton Vermont Grafton Virginia Grafton West Virginia Grafton
  • The Grafton Village Historic District encompasses the historic village center of the town of Grafton Vermont The village was developed in the early - to - mid
  • Grafton, North Dakota a Carnegie library in North Dakota Grafton Public Library Grafton Vermont listed on the National Register of Historic Places
  • Grafton District Schoolhouse No. 2, also known locally as the Old Fire Station, is a historic civic building at 217 Main Street in Grafton Vermont