ⓘ Kirby, Vermont

                                     

ⓘ Kirby, Vermont

The town was chartered to Roswell Hopkins in 1790, Hopkins served as Clerk of the House of Representatives and Secretary of State of Vermont, and he accepted the land grant in lieu of cash as payment for his government service. The grant Hopkins received was originally called Hopkinsville, it was later combined with a parcel from the town of Burke, and renamed Kirby. Several ideas have been proposed for how the name Kirby was chosen, the most common is that it is a variant of the English Kirkby, which means a village or settlement around a church. By the time the town was organized in 1807, Hopkins had sold his interest and moved to Hopkinton, New York.