ⓘ Magi-Nation (TV series)
Magi-Nation is a Canadian animated series based on the card game Magi-Nation Duel. The series was co-produced by Cookie Jar Entertainment, in association with The Canadian Broadcasting Corporation. The series premiered in Canada on September 8, 2007, on CBC Television and on September 22, 2007 in the U.S. on Kids WB. A series of DVDs was set to be released from October 21, 2008 through January 6, 2009 from NCirlce Entertainment. The series had formerly aired in the U.S. on Toonzai on The CW and formerly on Cookie Jar Toons on This TV, with the second seasons worldwide premiere airing on Cookie Jar Toons. The show was cancelled due to low ratings of the second season. The twelve remaining episodes have been released online.
Three thousand years ago in the Moonlands, the Shadow Magi Agram was sealed inside the planets Core by the Core Glyph and the Dreamstones which provided its power. Now he plans to escape by using his Shadow Geysers to weaken his prison in order to bring the Moonlands under his control, and only a Magi known as the "Final Dreamer" can stop him. A young boy from Earth, Tony Jones, is summoned into the Moonlands as he is believed to be this Final Dreamer. He joins forces with the apprentice Magi, Edyn, and the Shadow Stalker, Strag, on a mission to gather the Dreamstones before Agram is set free. Using the Book of Elders, the three travel through the Moonlands while combatting the forces of Agram and gaining an ever-growing collection of Dream Creatures from the Moonlands that they visit.
2.1. Cast and characters Main
- Dan Petronijevic as Strag, a 14-year-old from the Underneath who has trained as a Shadow Stalker to rid the Moonlands of the Shadow Magi. He is one of the Final Dreamers alongside Tony and Edyn, and is able to use his Moon senses to aid them in their adventures. Despite this training, he is of the lineage of the first Shadow Magi, Agram, and lives with this shadow. Strag primarily uses relics and his turtlelike Dream Creature, Freep voiced by Rick Miller.
- Martha MacIsaac as Edyn, a beautiful, 14-year-old girl from the forests of Naroom who lives with her guardian, Orwin. Shes Tonys other best friend, always there to have his back, is well-read in the books of the Moonlands, caring, organized, brave, and is an expert magic spell caster. She has long red hair, an athletic, slender figure topped off with a leaf skirt and red short-sleeved shirt. Her main Dream Creature is Ugger voiced by Joseph Motiki, a plant-based creature with a rhinoceros-like horn.
- Lyon Smith as Anthony "Tony" Jones, a 14-year-old boy from Earth who was summoned to the Moonlands with a ring given to him by his grandfather, Spencer Jones. He has dark brown hair, a fur vest and heavy-duty boots as well as developing a muscular chest and arms from his time in the Moonlands. Although initially reluctant to take on his role as a hero, Tony comes to accept the realm as his new home and his friends as a family. After months of training, he becomes a skilled warrior who adjusts to his new worlds culture and lifestyle. He also has a crush on Truptika, a girl of his age from the ocean realm of Orothe. His main Dream Creature is Furok voiced by Alan Park, a mysterious bearlike creature who his best friend and protector.
- Alex Karzis and Rory OShea as Korg and Zed, Agrams primary henchmen. They are a duo of evil, yet bumbling Shadow Magi who use an arsenal of evil Dream Creatures supplied by Agram. They later are joined by other Shadow Magi including Chur, Ashio, and Warrada.
- Martin Moach as Agram, the powerful leader of the Shadow Magi who was sealed in the Core of the Moonlands 3.000 years ago. He uses his Shadow Geysers to weaken his prison in an attempt to return to the surface Moonlands. During the first season, he escaped from the Core but was re-imprisoned with the Book of Elders. In the second season, he returned using the body of Gorath, one of his Dream Creatures.
2.2. Cast and characters Recurring
- Julie Lemieux as Evu, a wise old woman from Vash Naroom. She helped to summon Tony to the Moonlands and often assisted Tony, Edyn, and Strag on their adventures. She is a wise sage and displays great power despite her age and her size.
- Helen King as Truptika, a teenage mermaid girl from the realm of Orothe. She has long red-pink hair tied in two buns, pointed ears, gills, and can transform her legs into a tail to enable her to swim with ummatched grace and agility. Truptika has a noticeable crush on Tony, which Strag and Edyn often tease him about. She admires and thus, is attracted toTony for his selflessness and bravery in his quest to save the Moonlands from destruction.
- Rick Miller as Orwin, the Elder of Vash Naroom and Edyns guardian. He is a powerful Magi and a mentor to Tony, Edyn, and Strag. Though Orwin was later turned into a Shadow Magi by Korg and Zed in "Fiery Betrayal," he was soon returned to normal in "The Secret Chamber."
- Rick Miller as Ashio, a Shadow Magi who was sent to destroy the Moonland of Paradwyn.
2.3. Cast and characters Dream Creatures
Dream Creatures are creatures that inhabit the Moonlands and originate from the Dream Plane. A Magi who gains the trust of a Dream Creature or defeats it in battle gains an Animite crystal. This Animite can be used to summon that Dream Creature back from the Dream Plane when needed by using some of a Magis energy. A Dream Creature that is defeated simply returns to the Dream Plane and can be summoned again if the Magi has sufficient energy. Within the Dream Plane, even corrupted Core Creatures are temporarily purified to their natural states.
2.4. Cast and characters Guardian Hyrens
The Guardian Hyrens are unique Dream Creatures and a subset of the often draconic Hyrens. Each Guardian Hyren protects a particular Moonland and, namely, its respective Dreamstone. A test is given to those seeking a Guardian Hyrens Dreamstone in order to test that Magis worthiness and character.
Cookie Jar Entertainment acquired merchandising rights along with the TV show license. An online computer game, Magi-Nation: Battle for the Moonlands, has been released. It was distributed by Acclaim Games. A new card game and a Nintendo DS video game adaptation were announced but ultimately did not see a release.
4. DVD releases
Magi-Nation: The Moonlands, released on June 16, 2009, includes these episodes: "The Final Dreamer, Fire and Ice, Blight, Enemy in the Sands".
Magi-Nation: Fight the Shadows, released on June 16, 2009, includes these episodes: "First Geyser, Cloud Cover, Fiery Betrayal, Eyes of Agram".
In the UK, Platform Entertainment Ltd released episodes on DVD.
In Germany, season 1 was released on five DVDs; all contained both German and English audio tracks.