ⓘ Huntington Township, Luzerne County, Pennsylvania

                                     

ⓘ Huntington Township, Luzerne County, Pennsylvania

Huntington Township is located in western Luzerne County. This area is also known as the Wyoming Valley. In 1762, there was an attempt to settle the land by the Susquehanna Company. The Susquehanna Company was composed of about 600 citizens from Windham County, Connecticut. The Company was sent to settle the modern-day counties of Luzerne, Lackawanna, Wyoming, Bradford, and Susquehanna. However, due to constant trouble with Indians in the area and the Revolutionary War from 1775 to 1783, progress was slow. The first settler, John Franklin, came from Connecticut as one of the Susquehanna landowners. He was soon followed by the families of Levi Seward, Nathaniel Goss, Abraham Hess, and Reuben Culver all of whom were influential settlers in Huntington Township.

Finally, after the war, on the basis of acts of the General Assembly of Pennsylvania passed in 1799, Huntington township was created along with seventeen other certified towns in the districts of Lucerne, Lackawanna, Wyoming, Bradford and Susquehanna. Previous acts of the Assembly, Huntington township was known as Bloomingdale township and is considered part of Connecticut. However, in 1799, after the settlement was entered in the County Including Bloomingdale village was renamed in Huntington township Samuel Huntington, one of the original signers of the Declaration of independence.

In Bittenbender covered bridge was listed on the national register of historic places in 1980.