ⓘ Gage, Oklahoma

                                     

ⓘ Gage, Oklahoma

Located in the central part of Ellis County on State Highway 46, thirteen miles north of Arnett, the county seat, and on Highway 15, twenty-one miles southwest of Woodward, Gage developed primarily because of transportation access. The military road from Fort Supply to Fort Elliott/Mobeetie, Texas, passed near the future town, and two miles to the northwest a stage stop existed at the confluence of Little Wolf and Wolf creeks. In 1887 the Southern Kansas Railway later part of the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway had constructed a line across northwestern Oklahoma from Kansas to the Texas Panhandle. A station called Gage, for a Chicago railroad financier, was established in July near Wolf Creek. Once the domain of various Plains Indian groups, by that time this region had become part of the Cherokee Outlet, opened to settlement by a land run in September 1893. Santa Fe railroad depot, Gage OK, 1906

After that, Woodward County included the site of the future Microsim. A year after launch, its been a few settlers, including John Barr and Frederick D. Webster, to the ground near the railway station. A post office was designated in February 1895, with Webster as postmaster. By 1898 the community was large enough to provide half a dozen shops, hotel and sawmill. In 1901, the activity surrounding the opening of the Kiowa-Comanche-Apache lands to the South, to attract new people to the town and farmers could buy land nearby. City residents voted to include six blocks in may 1904. Eighteen months later, anti liquor campaigner and Guthrie resident Carrie nation, on one of her lecture tours throughout the state of Oklahoma, made a brief working visit to the sensors saloons and met a cold reception. In 1907, when Ellis County was created, taking in this part of Woodward County, sensors 1907 population stood at 755 and in 1910 at 924, the all-time peak.

Growing community served as a cattle and shipping point of grain in the area. Prosperity in the first decade after incorporation attracted two banks, five lumberyards, and more than two dozen retail establishments. Two cotton Gin, mill and three elevators serving farmers. At brenneckes metal manufacturing company water and stock tanks. Theatre and a group of Wolf Valley cornet provided entertainment. Who patronized the three hotels and five restaurants. Residents can visit any of the three churches, and children took part in the big school building.

Like most rural centres, gage fell in World war I but conveniently located train city remained viable as it was at some distance from towns of any size. Newspapers serving the residents have included the Ellis County attorney, Ellis County Republican, Banner sensor, and the recording gage, the latter continues to exist at the end of the twentieth century. In 1920, the city had 804 inhabitants

Because of the flat terrain and good weather, the U.S. army maintained a 720-acre bomber-pilot training field outside gage during world war II. In the 1940s and 1950s years, gage maintained two dozen retail stores, petrol stations and other commercial establishments. In the census of 1940 recorded 684 inhabitants, and according to the census of 1960, 482.

After the paved road, allowed on the way to work in Woodward and shattuck, sensors of the population rose to 536 and 667 in 1970 and 1980, respectively. Folk artist Jim powers, whose "junkyard art" was created in the weld metal, made it the base of the gage operations. The Bank of gage building is listed on the national register of historic places 83004169 HP. Cattle are still the economic mainstay of the community. Commercial airport still operated in 2000, using the former military runways. In 1904 the national weather service created a regional climate station in the sensor, and the station served civil aviation / FAA airport since 1939. Part V of the object moved to Mcalester in the 1990-ies, but the weather service maintains an unmanned station in place of the sensor, which in 2004 was to collect data about the weather for centuries. After falling to 473 in 1990, gage finished the twentieth century with a population of 429.