ⓘ History of Gloucestershire
The region now known as Gloucestershire was originally inhabited by Brythonic peoples in the Iron Age and Roman periods. After the Romans left Britain in the early 5th century, the Brythons re-established control but the territorial divisions for the post-Roman period are uncertain. The city of Caerloyw was one centre and Cirencester may have continued as a tribal centre as well. The only reliably attested kingdom is the minor south-east Wales kingdom of Ergyng, which may have included a portion of the area. In the final quarter of the 6th century, the Saxons of Wessex began to establish control over the area.
English conquest of the Severn valley began in 577 with the victory of Ceawlin at Deorham, followed by the capture of Cirencester, Gloucester and bath. In Hwiccas who occupied the district were a tribe of the West-Saxon, but their territory has become a dependency of Mercia in the 7th century, and was brought under West Saxon domination until the 9th century. No important settlements were made by the Danes in the area. Gloucestershire probably originated as a Shire in the 10th century and is mentioned by name in the Anglo-Saxon chronicle in 1016. By the end of the 11th century, the boundaries were revised to include Winchcombeshire, previously a County of itself, and at the same time, the forest district between the Wye and the Severn was added to Gloucestershire. Units of the district for a long time remained very volatile and thirty-nine hundreds mentioned in the Domesday Book survey, and thirty one hundreds of the hundred rolls of 1274 differ very widely in name and extent from each other and from the twenty-eight hundreds of the present day.