ⓘ New London, North Carolina

                                     

ⓘ New London, North Carolina

A Brief History of New London

New London originally began as Bilesville around 1830 when Thomas Biles, Jr. and Elizabeth Betsy side Biles moved to a farm in the highest elevation in Montgomery County. The new town was named in honor of uncle Tommy Biles, who owned the land at that time. First homeowners and merchants numbered fourteen, and it was not long before the New town had a number of industries.

South of Bilesville was a small settlement under the name of Albemarle. This area was still part of Montgomery County when gold was discovered. Gold was discovered in 1859 on the farm Parker Howell, started one of the first mining works. The nearest Church in Bilesville was Bethel, which was to the East of the city. The first Church in town was Methodist Bilesville. In families increased there was a need for school from the first log house erected in 1884.

On the outbreak of the civil war, my lay quiet until sometime in the 1870-ies, when English mining concern known as new London and the States Co., LTD. acquired the property of the mine. The English company sent captain William nance to be responsible for the operation. With gold and other industries in full swing, of course, Bilesville needed richer-sounding name. A. V. Judd from England, now in the mining operations proposed to" new London”, hardly anyone objected.

A meeting was held at the Academy to discuss the name change. Mr. Judd was impressed with the collection, he described how he thought it was a rich settlement can grow as big as his native London, England, as the inhabitants have built beautiful large homes. With the advent of the railroad, the industry will expand and be more productive. The state legislature petitioned for the name change, the request was granted and new London was officially registered on 25 March 1891.

On my Parker worked in two shifts, by this time, and soon the New London rope mill was built and operated six 12-hour days. Soon Yadkin brick company in operation and soon his handmade colonial brick was known throughout the County. One of the major companies in new London, Culp lumber company, started when John L. Culp came from Cabarrus country and started a large livery yard and later became a lumber operation.

When Parker gold mine became too expensive to operate in 1894, the English sold the property and returned to England. Dr. William R. ivy was in town, the dentist, and postmaster. Dr. A. George. Allen came from the County Yadkin and gave new London its first physician. The first two cars in the city were REO, owned by W. L. cotton, who owned the bottling plant and a chain drive Franklin, owned by S. R. Brinkerhoff.

M. W. Ivey new London, who was the Manager of the Albemarle telephone company built the telephone lines in new London. In 1920 was adopted by the national legislation of the amendments to the Constitution, giving women the right to vote and to hold office for the first time, and in 1923 Mrs. T. V. Staton was elected mayor of new London. She was the first woman elected to municipal government in North Carolina.

In 1924, the city fathers approved the conversion of power lines. The total cost of bringing a line from Albemarle and distribution systems and substations amounted to $9.354. In 1927, the city entered into a contract with Duke power company to provide power for the next 60 years. In 1926 and 1927 the state graded and constructed the first paved road from Albemarle through new London to Salisbury, state highway 80. In 1934, the Parker gold mine property was purchased and the mine was opened and leased to a Washington company. In 1939, the town paved its streets.

Today in new London, New city hall, community center, Park, Museum, housed in a building built in 1920 as a Bank and fire Department. Was built in 2002 water and sanitation.

New London is home to more than 600 people and is located near very large cities of Charlotte, Winston-Salem Concord, Asheboro and Salisbury.

                                     
  • North Carolina Highway 49 NC 49 is a primary state highway in the U.S. state of North Carolina It traverses much of the Piedmont region of North Carolina
  • The Province of North Carolina was a British colony that existed in North America from 1712 to 1776, created as a proprietary colony. The power of the
  • The North Carolina Secretary of State is an elected official in the U.S. state of North Carolina heading the Department of the Secretary of State, which
  • The history of North Carolina from prehistory to the present covers the experiences of the people who have lived in the territory that now comprises the
  • North Carolina Highway 8 NC 8 is a primary state highway in the U.S. state of North Carolina The route connects the cities of Lexington and Winston - Salem
  • Iowa New London Maryland New London Minnesota New London Missouri New London New Hampshire New London North Carolina New London Ohio New London Texas
  • North Carolina Highway 62 NC 62 is a primary state highway in the U.S. state of North Carolina Primarily in the Piedmont Triad, it runs from NC 109
  • The North Carolina class was a class of two fast battleships, North Carolina and Washington, built for the United States Navy in the late 1930s and early
  • Scouting in North Carolina has a long history, from the 1910s to the present day, serving thousands of youth in programs that suit the environment in which
  • The following is a timeline of the history of Charlotte, North Carolina United States. 1763 Mecklenburg County established. 1768 Charlotte Town incorporated
  • Raleigh ˈrɑːli RAH - lee is the capital of the state of North Carolina and the seat of Wake County in the United States. Raleigh is the second - largest