ⓘ Old Fort, North Carolina

                                     

ⓘ Old Fort, North Carolina

Samuel Davidson owned one square mile of land where it was believed settlers built a fort later called Davidsons Fort. A stockade built in 1756 became an outpost for expeditions such as that of Gen. Griffith Rutherford in 1776, "the westernmost outpost of Colonial civilization". Once the railroad reached the area, a hotel and depot were built. In 1871, Sanborn Worthen, who fought in the American Civil War, bought Old Fort Plantation. He hoped the railroad would build its yard there, but this did not happen. On January 25, 1872, the town of Catawba Vale was founded. The name was changed to Old Fort February 23, 1873, honoring Samuel Davidson.