ⓘ Cedar Mills, Minnesota

                                     

ⓘ Cedar Mills, Minnesota

Cedar Mills was laid out in 1860, and named for nearby Cedar Lake, located two miles to the northeast. Cedar Mills Lake was first referred to on old maps by the explorers, Fremont and Nicollet. The lake had the Indian name of" Ranti-tia-wita” or" Island of the Red Cedar”. Daniel A. Cross was the first to make a settlement there with his family in 1856. He was later killed during the Sioux Uprising of 1862. In 1857, R. J. Brodwell, O. S. Merriam, Philander Ball, George R. Jewett, Elmer Eighmey, and a few others settled there. George Nichols built a flour mill there in 1858 and he ran it until 1867. The first store was established in the town by J. D. Baldwin. The first school was taught by Sophia Pratt in 1860, in the home of Daniel Cross. In September 1862, a small group of the Hutchinson Guards left the Hutchinson stockade and went to Meeker County in search of Caleb Sanborn and other missing settlers. Some of the Guard were Daniel Cross, T. R. Webb, Lieutenant Oliver Pierce, and Frank Jewett. When the party reached the north side of Cedar Lake woods, they were suddenly ambushed by thirteen Indians. Daniel Cross was shot and killed instantly. The search party had no time to pick up Cross’s body as they were running to escape.

The Indians quickly scalped Daniel cross, put his head on a pole, and carried it as a battle flag while they chased the men who fled. R. T. Webb fled to the city of cedar lake, jumped in a little boat and row your way to cedar island where he hid for the night. Webb returned to Hutchinson the next morning. The other men also made it safely to Hutchinson. The next day a group of men went out to find the bodies of cross and Sanborn, which was badly mutilated, and brought them to Hutchinson.

Heres another story of the uprising of the Sioux, who are involved cedar mills. On Monday morning, August 18, 1862, Henry J. Lasher, learning about the massacre at Acton, and he had sent his family to brother-in-law of his wife, B. D. peck, who lived nearby. Smashing set out to notify the settlers in the Greenleaf attacks. He found that the settlers had already left, so he made his way back to Pitch. Henry sent his family back to his farm, and he stayed to help raise the Pitch. On Thursday, he heard shots coming from under his farm, so he went to cedar mills to have someone to accompany him back to his farm to see if his family was all right. No one went to help him, and Henry went alone. Upon reaching his farm, he met a group of about twenty people who left the forest, the city and bury the victims in Acton.

Lasher family returned to cedar mills, and peck, with his team of horses, drove 1.600 pounds of flour and other provisions from his farm to Henry. When they arrived at the farm Henry, they found some eight or ten families from the neighbouring countries, all bent on fleeing to safety. After some conversations, it was decided to build a Fort"” and left. Henry was appointed captain, and they decided to strengthen the point” in the town of Cedar lake and remain there until the uprising was over. Weymouth and Lasher was standing guard at a checkpoint in cedar lake mill. On Wednesday, a group of thirty or forty refugees from yellow medicine County, appeared, accompanied by a friendly Indian named John the other day.

Refugees who came to Cedar lake from the other day was Stuart B. Garvie, who was wounded by a shot in the lower abdomen. Garvey died the next day, August 22, in the house the banging. An Indian by the name Haypinkpa or" the tip of the Horn” was convicted for the murder of Harvey and hanged in Mankato in mass hangings.

Post office under the name of cedar mills was founded in 1860 with Charles G. topping as the postmaster. In 1861, Henry George. Lasher became the postmaster and during the uprising of the Sioux, he was buried all official papers and for many years there was no postoffice in the town of cedar mills. In 1870 he was re-established, but closed in 1955. The city itself was not organized until January 25, 1870. Both cedar mills and Cosmos is located on the South fork of the Crow river, which flows into the Mississippi in Dayton, mn. It drains one of the largest catchments area of over 200 square miles in Central Minnesota. Census 2010, 45 people were found living in cedar mills.