ⓘ Canby, Minnesota

                                     

ⓘ Canby, Minnesota

John Swenson, who secured a homestead on section 4 of Norman Township where now stands the City of Canby, was one of the early European settlers in the area. After erecting a claim shanty, for the convenience of his neighbors, he opened a little store in his cabin. In November of 1874, he secured the establishment of a post office in that store. At Swenson’s suggestion, the post office was named Canby, in honor of Civil War and career officer General Edward Canby of the United States Army. General Canby had been assassinated the prior year during peace negotiations with the Modoc Indians of Northern California.

However, in 1876 the surrounding country receives new settlers and the railroad company, deems it time to begin work train on the Western part of the line. Station Canby was established on August 24, 1876, and the town platted by the Winona & St. Peter railroad company soon after the railroad was extended to that point. Due to its location on the railway line, Canby grew rapidly and was incorporated as a village in 1879 and as a city in 1905.

The lots were sold at the railway on the condition that they should be built within six months. Swenson was the first to buy, and he chose the corner of front and main for his first store building.

Grasshoppers, Indians and Prairie fires are a big problem for the residents of Canby at this time. In the summer of 1875 was the first bad plague grasshopper. The settlers tried everything they could think of to get them to leave, but the grasshoppers devoured every blade of grass, the leaves on the trees and even on buildings.

The Indians were in plain sight because of the campaigns of General Custer in Wyoming. June 25, 1876, 3.000 warriors circled and killed Custer and his troops, 277. Not long after the battle, the band of about 100 Indians camped along the track in canby to trade furs for goods. Fortunately, after doing their job, the Indians left.

Firebreaks plowed around the city and each of the estate, because the settlers were ever on the alert to wildfires. In 1893 it was not a Prairie fire, but the usual daily task that the fire started in the city. It started with filling a kerosene lamp made of tin measure. Fate and the wind was against Canby that night. After the fire was torn down every main street shop between the buildings Swenson and the Bank, the wind changed and blew the heat and sparks on main street in block 3, where each structure is gone, except one.

Was recorded a loss in the amount of $150.000, but Canby is built right up again, and structures were replaced by brick or stone walls. Because of the unique preserved architecture of these buildings in the city centre was designated as a national historic landmark. Corner of this area, and also the oldest building that was not destroyed during the fire, located on the corner of highway 75 and 2nd street.

The first sermon was nevertheless preached in canby in 1876, in 1879, the first regular worship service in English. The first school was opened in 1877 and is located on the second floor of the house. City news was founded in September 1878, it was the newspaper of the Western railway. The cost of the government Canby in 1888-1889 was $5.898.12.

In the new century saw many changes in Canby and around the world. The business has changed hands and a new one was created. It was a time of amazing growth in Canby. In 1915, it was built 50 new homes. It was the pre-war boom. After the war, also saw many changes. In 1930, the motorized forces and electrical forces occur. The number of enterprises in 1940 found 157 jobs in Canby.

In 1946, after the Second world war, once again was the shortage of housing in Canby. In 1947, 55 building permits were issued. The following years were all the buildings of the year” and showed an increase of Canby.

The population of Canby has shown the greatest growth in the 1930s and reached its peak in 1950.

Farmers cultivated the area around Canby from the time the first settlers arrived in the mid 19th century. Farms and agricultural companies large and small, provide opportunities for different types of employment. Canby, realizing the importance of" agriculture” continues to create new ways to promote the agricultural industry in the region to ensure sustainable development of the community in the future.

                                     
  • Canby may refer to: Canby surname In the United States Canby California Canby Iowa Canby Minnesota Canby Oregon Canby Creek, a stream in Minnesota
  • not misleading to members of the general public. Born in Saint Paul, Minnesota Canby earned his Bachelor of Arts degree from Yale University in 1953 on
  • Canby Creek is a stream in Yellow Medicine County, in the U.S. state of Minnesota Canby Creek took its name from the city of Canby Minnesota List of
  • The Canby Commercial Historic District is a designation applied to the historic downtown of Canby Minnesota United States. It comprises 24 contributing
  • Canby November 9, 1817 April 11, 1873 was a career United States Army officer and a Union general in the American Civil War. In 1861 1862, Canby commanded
  • Canby Municipal Airport ICAO: KCNB, FAA LID: CNB also known as Myers Field, is a public use airport in Yellow Medicine County, Minnesota United States
  • The Lund Hoel House is a historic house museum in Canby Minnesota United States. The residence and an adjacent carriage house were built in 1891 for
  • Highway 67 serves as an east west and north south route in southwest Minnesota between Canby Clarkfield, Granite Falls, Redwood Falls, and Morgan. The highway
  • 68 serves as an east west route in southwest and south - central Minnesota between Canby Minneota, Marshall, Morgan, Sleepy Eye, New Ulm, and Mankato.
  • Minnesota West Community and Technical College is a public community and technical college in Minnesota with five campuses: Canby Granite Falls, Jackson