ⓘ Waverly, Minnesota


ⓘ Waverly, Minnesota

The framework for the City of Waverly began in 1855, when the territorial legislature passed an act organizing Wright County. A survey team was sent out shortly after by the government to plot the new county’s divisions. These surveyors were greeted by established homesteaders who had already begun clearing the land and planting crops. Prior to European settlement, Waverly was predominantly Big Woods which included a mixture of oak, maple, basswood and hickory. Small portions of wet prairie existed on the eastern edge of Waverly Lake and along the western edge of present day CSAH 8.

Impressed two lakes Waverly and little Waverly, hot water power and the proximity of the Crow river, one mile to the North, an entrepreneurial surveyor and his partners built a dam, sawmill and mill in 1856 at the outlet of the little Waverly lake. The village is known as Waverly mills was beginning to take shape, as about three hundred acres were surveyed and divided. Edinburgh Waverley-mills got its name after the community in the County of Tioga, state of new York, the Former home of one of the partners. After a stormy beginning of the banking panic, financial collapse and subsequent grasshopper infestations, Waverley mills managed to survive. He saw and grist milling industry to facilitate the creation of a store, a post office and a Church with cemetery in this place.

The village used to be called Waverley station, to distinguish it from the old Waverly, village of pioneer, who in the early days flourished, at a distance of about a mile. Waverley station was laid in a railroad company on its land in the southwest quarter of section 33, at the time that regular trains began operating in this area in 1868. Was a railway station built this year, and the grain house. The first store was opened by R. T. Barrett, who operated it for several years, and then changed it to a hotel under the name of cornerstone home.

Among the lodges in the early 1900s: the Knights of Columbus, the Catholic order of foresters, modern Woodmen of America, modern Brotherhood of America, ancient order of organization of the workers, the Royal neighbors of America, and others.

The school, which once stood where the current Humphrey elementary school was built in 1905 and consisted of brick, two stories tall with a basement, and ran for four teachers. In addition to a full course, taught in school manuals and music.

Waverley station was incorporated as a village in 1881. And the village was transformed in Waverly in 1885. The following entry appears in the County records: "on March 16, 1885. A special election called by the Trustees of the village of Waverly to determine, by ballot whether the village of Waverly should continue, as included in a special act of Parliament or become incorporated under the General Statute of Minnesota was held on Monday, March 16, 1885. Proper notice of said election, to receive and object of said election have been fully explained in the notices, polling stations opened at 10 a.m. M. and closed at 4 p. m. the Number of votes polled, 41, to return, 41, vs, no. Therefore, the village of Waverley was declared re-registered under a common set of laws of Minnesota, and the same recorded in the village records.

Prosperity Waverley in those early days helped the Railways and the patronage of the surrounding settlers in the forest and Marysville townships. Many of these early farmers came from different parts of the United States, France, Canada and European countries in particular from Sweden, Ireland, Germany, Prussia, Austria, and Switzerland. These pioneers were supported by Waverly many institutions which included the post office, Bank, Newspapers, city hall, Church, Creamery, school, grain elevators, flouring mills, saw mills, insurance companies, hotels, livery stables, General stores, hardware dealers, furniture shops, lumber companies, a bakery, meat markets, hats shops, salons and pharmacies, to name just a few.

Waverly moved faster and made more progress in 30 years than some of its competing communities. Some argue that businesses and buildings Waverley was one of the largest and best in the County of Wright in the climax of the development. One historical account stated that Waverley" - a pleasant, prosperous village, located on a very nice lake, it is quite a summer resort for pleasure seekers.” Records indicate that by 1909, the population of Waverley reached more than 1000 inhabitants.

Since its founding in 1869, Waverly has changed both physically and demographically. Like many similar rural communities of greater Minnesota, Waverley felt a documented socio-economic consequences of industrial methods of agriculture, the outflow of rural young people in regional urban core and population ageing. Waverley took place on a small development in the 1930-ies and 40-ies, and a small unit in the early 1960-ies. But by 1980, the population of Waverly has decreased to 470 people. Direct results of this rural trend of merger, consolidation or vanishing institutions and enterprises.

Scientific researchers have shown that small communities like Waverly are entering a period of transition and metamorphosis. The silos that once defined Waverly gone, and new residential complexes housing. Double the area of the cities of the world, which once seemed distant is now only a 40-minute drive away.

From 2000 to 2007 Waverly attract the attention of developers in a flurry. A large influx of new residents during this short time beckoned back to the historical boom period up to 1900 Waverly. However, this time the growth was in the main body. Several events were platted including, Summerfields, woodland shores, spring meadows, Carrigan meadows, Carrigan estates and Windgate at Carrigan lake. The population has increased by more than 60% in 2000 to almost 1.300 in 2010 after decades of static growth. Waverley is now preparing for future growth, while continuing to maintain its small town appeal.

The Waverley village Hall, built in 1939, is listed in the national register of historic places.