ⓘ Dassel, Minnesota

                                     

ⓘ Dassel, Minnesota

DASSEL In 1868, some men from the Saint Paul and Pacific Railroad were looking for land. They had chosen a route west from the Twin Cities that went right through a village named Collinwood. But the people in that village didnt want to give up or sell the land that the railroad needed for its rails, crossings, depot, etc. In frustration, the railroad men left town, redrew their route map, and moved one mile north. There they found the settlers in a place called Swan Lake more than eager to sell the land that the railroad needed. The railroad platted out a new village in 1869, naming it Dassel, after one of their own employees, Bernard Dassel, a paymaster for the railroad, who came from a village named Dassel in the province of Einbeck, Germany. Bernard was a friend of railroad magnate James J. Hill and Hill gave Bernard the job of secretary of the St. Paul & Pacific Railroad, with a salary of $1800 a year. Parker Simons, a civil engineer for the railroad, put up the first frame building in Dassel. Bernard Dassel was put in charge of the pay car that was pulled by the Wm. Crooks Engine No. 1, which made a visit every month to Dassel with the cash for its workers. The station agent at the depot was Charles J. Atwater who also had a town named after him, who was also postmaster with the new post office situated in the depot. When the post office was opened, it made the name Dassel official, by the way, and Dassel, with its 302 inhabitants, was incorporated as a village on March 4. 1878. The depot was on the north side of the main track until 1883, when it was moved over to the south side.

Most of the early settlers of Dassel came from Indiana, Ohio, Kentucky, Virginia and Sweden, especially from Vastergotland and Varmland County. Adam Brauer lived in Indiana, when he enlisted in the Union army in April 1861. He fought in the battles at Winchester, at Chancellorsville, Gettysburg, harrisburg, and Altoona mountains, where he was wounded and is in hospital for a few weeks. He was taken prisoner by the confederates at the battle of Winchester on 25 may 1862, and held them until September 20, when he was exchanged for another prisoner. In February 1867, he moved to Meeker County and bought a place near Swan lake, Dassel. During the first three years, he brick making in the village, but then he started farming. Harlow F. Ames came to the town, with his brother Henry, in January 1868, and they settled on the farm of his father, Harlow, Sr., who bought land in the form of a letter. The brothers stayed there until 1869, when their parents came to claim their land. Harlow F. received his own claim, and Henry moved between Darwin and Litchfield, where he started his famous brickyard, bricks of which built the city of Litchfield.

George Maynard came in may 1866. He threw the first vote on the inclusion of the village in 1878. Andrew Davidson came to Meeker County on July 4, 1866. He drove the entire distance from Columbia County, Wisconsin with an ox team, bringing his family with him in a covered wagon. Upon arrival he took up a HOMESTEAD of eighty acres on section 14. In 1866, James P. Davis arrived in Meeker County and took into consideration the claim in early July under section 10. He built his farm, while working on the railroad. Next fall, he worked in the forest city mill. In 1868, he helped to clear the site of the village, cut down trees, making firewood, etc. Also in 1866, Spath Frederick came and took a HOMESTEAD of eighty acres in section 10, where his family lived for nine years. For some time he worked on railroad construction, and landscaping requirements of the village of Dassel. He opened a smithy and his family moved to the city in 1875, where, on April 1, 1881, he turned the business over to his son, P. F. Spath, and then returned to his farm. About the organization the City in 1867, Frederick was appointed as one of the leaders of the city, and in the following year as Chairman of the Board. He was also one of the first Trustees of the village and held this office for three consecutive years.

John Rudberg also came in 1866, immigrants busy year for the city. John took a HOMESTEAD in section 26. He moved to the village in 1875 and, along with his brothers Louis and Jonas, bought the business of Charles Morris, who was the pioneer General merchandise store. It was called Morris & Rudberg brothers and they remained in business until 1881. Then, selling, John, and brother Louis bought Dassel sawmill, and started a furniture business. Louis Rudberg died in January, 1884, and John was working the whole business since that time. Madison DeLong came out in 1867 and took claim on section 34. He became the town supervisor for eight years and assessor for four. Henry clay came in Dassel with his parents in the spring of 1868 and settled on section 28. After service in the Civil war, Henry returned home to take his claim on section 32. He began working at St. Paul railway company, Minneapolis & Manitoba, building snow fences. In December 1887, he moved to the city, and on may 1, 1887, he took possession of the post office, was appointed to this position. W. Eric Nelson came with his parents in 1868 when he was 12. After the death of his parents, he left the farm and came to the village to work as a clerk in the store until may, 1886, when he went into the saloon business with J. N. Lind.

Sanford A. was Sheriff in 1869, when Ralph Peters built a hotel, which was his home Dassel was built in 1872 by Georg Brauer. Brower was the owner of hotels to 1873, when he sold the property to Samuel A. Bunting. James H. Morris came in March 1869 and he built a sawmill. The mill was sold to George W. Brower, William Bradford, and James Wilson in 1872. The mill operated until 1875 when it was destroyed by fire. In 1876 it was rebuilt and continued to operate until August 5, 1881, when there was a small tornado and destroyed it forever. He went out of business. At the time that it stood, it belonged to Joel B. Smith, first President of the Dassel city Council, as well as Robert hunter and Roeland Elliot. The first store was opened by James H. Morris and his brother Charles A. In 1869. They operated until 1872, when they sold to Samuel A. Bunting. In 1873 it was destroyed by fire without insurance. He was immediately reinstated on the Bunting and hes back in business, but he died July 27, 1875, at the age of 43 years. After Sam Bunting died in 1875, his widow operated the hotel until 1877, when John Henry" Hank” REMIK became its owner. On 3 February 1883, he was again destroyed along with other buildings in the block 7. It was Dassels first big fire. Case ray F. came to lose his life. He was wedged between the house of Dassel, who was in the fire, and a small office building that was ready to be shifted on the rollers. But she slipped and the Beam was stuck between the buildings. L. A. Wittmar, Jack Riordan, and Ben record got a rope around him and he was on the run, badly bruised and burned, but saved. Then a new house was built Dassel" Hank” REMIK, William Galiger and John S. Larson. After it was completed, Larson sold his share in the hotel.

Dassels first school building was built in 1870 at a price of $625, and with only three months starting from 15 October, with Mrs. S. V. Russell, as a teacher. She had 28 pupils and a salary of $25 per month. In 1873, Sarah Phelan became a teacher $30 a month with four months of the school year and 44 students. Dassel, at that time, there were only 227 people. In 1878, a new 1500 $two-storey house was built with two rooms, one up and the other down, and in 1883, on the ground floor was divided into two rooms. The old school building was sold to the Swedish Lutheran Church and used by them until 1886, when he built a new Church. The old Church school building was sold and made in house. A new school building lasted until 1886, when he built the $8.000 home. Then the old school building was sold to the village on 8 April. 1887 for $ 300 and moved to Lot 17, in block 8, where it was used as a country club and the firehouse until 1912 when it was sold for 147$, torn down, and the lumber is taken out by the owner. The auditorium was built this year and used until February 24, 1930, when it was destroyed by fire. Semi-fire proof municipal building was built in the same year. The first headmaster was J. N. Mac Kenny.

Dr. A. S. McCollum was Dassels first doctor and the surgeon, coming in 1871. He has also been village recorder for several years and a district Commissioner from 1878 to 1880. December 1, 1887 he sold his practice to Dr. J. N. Kaufman for $250. Dr. Kaufman was also the owner of the pharmacy McCoy. Other Dassel doctors: Dr. H. E. Cassel, who came February 1, 1889 and in 1891 moved to Cokato, Dr. George E. Sherwood, who came in 1894, but in 1900 he moved to Kimball, Dr. E. A. Skaro came in 1886, and practiced for two years, then moved to Minneapolis, Dr. WM. E. Trion came in 1900 for three years, then left for Minneapolis in addition, Dr. M. Kranz came in 1902 but stayed for only three months, then moved to St. Paul, Dr. John. G. Dahlquist came in 1903, remaining until 1904, when he moved to North Dakota, and Dr. A. Peterson, in 1905.

In 1872, the store pioneer drug opened Louis Rudberg and Charles A. Morris. In 1875 Rudberg sold his half of the store of Morris and, in 1880, Morris was sold to Dr. C. A. McCollom and George B. breed. They are sold in the store for the brothers Rudberg in 1883. On the way to Sweden on holiday in 1885, Ionin Y. Rudberg died in Philadelphia on February 8, 42 age, and the business was then sold to hull ray F., which was in stores pharmacist. He operated it until he sold to McCoy & co. in 1898, which started the second store of this kind in 1894. Then he began to keep John. Bush drug. Edwin F. Proctor took a HOMESTEAD on section 4, in may 1869. He was in the Civil war, and under General William Tecumseh Sherman, he was present with the regiment, which fought around and burned Atlanta, and subsequent March to the sea. Edwin took part in fourteen battles in all, and was only slightly wounded in two of them, at Chancellorsville and Antietam.

The railroad was completed to Dassel on July 4, 1869, and held a celebration in honor of the event. There were still a few buildings put up this year. In 1870 he started a real boom. Store buildings, many houses, building schools, some of the houses are still in use. Jonas Rudberg, brother John and Louis mentioned earlier, was published in 1869 and lived on his brother Johns farm. In 1872, Jonas moved to town and opened a drugstore, which he operated until his death in February of 1885. James Patterson came in 1870. Peter Anderson was born the son of Elias L., born in Dassel on July 1, 1870. After working on the railroad as a carpenter, Louis Rudberg, brother John and Jonas, came in 1872, he joined John in the trading business until his death in January 1884. In 1876 he was elected a member of the legislature of Minnesota and served one term. Luther V. Layton arrived in the autumn of 1872 and spring of 1874 he opened the first wagon shop in the city. He continued that until 1881, when he entered the hardware business with John M. Johnson until January 1, 1887, when, having sold his interest to his partner, he entered into a new partnership in the firm Osterlund & Leighton, a General goods store.

Mikel Hendrickson, in 1872 began the construction of a building for the store, but he died before it was completed. He was in partnership with John Rudberg to have a threshing machine driven by oxen. In threshing on his farm, he accidentally stepped into the cylinder of the machine while it was in motion that led to his death before the doctor could get to him. On June 12, 1873, the swarm of the Rocky mountains, not grasshoppers, as is often wrongly reported to have invaded the Central and southwestern part of Minnesota. They came in flocks so huge that they hid the sun like a shower. In" grasshoppers” has become so thick on the railroad tracks that took three hours to go only five miles from Darwin to Dassel. On October 15, 1873, O. H. Sundahl, and Louis, and Jonas Y. Rudberg opened a General store in the house of Hendrickson. On May 1, 1874, Charles. A. Morris bought O. H. Sundahls share of the business, and 10 November 1875, purchased A. Bunting shop Samuel his heirs and in combination with their business. William Wallace was one of the first photographers in Dassel with tin-types, which were only pictures they had there. The photo gallery was opened for business in 1873. After hours, William would entertain his customers with him to play the violin. Case ray F. came in 1873 with his parents, but after their death, he moved to the city in 1883 and worked as a chemist with Charles A. Morris not yet sold out to Dr. close. Jonas Rudberg, bought it close to. ray still worked there until Rudberg died. Then he and the widow of Jonas formed a partnership to conduct business. In 1886 close to bought miss Rudberg.

Luther V. Layton was the pioneer wagon manufacturer and repairer in Dassel, opening the store on may 1, 1874, with a horse tread power to work his machine. In 1882, he founded the store with John M. Johnson as his partner in the same place. On January 1, 1887, he sold his interest in the firm of Leighton and Johnson. He then entered into partnership with Louis Osterlund overall range, the store being known as Osterlund and Leighton. In 1890, this company was dissolved and the stock divided into equal parts, and each of them opened a shop of their own. Leightons store was destroyed by fire in 1894, and he then opened a new General merchandise store in a large building to the East of his former location. In 1898 he sold the brothers Murphy. In 1901 they built a two-story brick building, 40 x 110 on the corner of Atlantic Avenue and fourth street. The main floor was used for storage, the second floor was used for other rooms and apartments. The building was destroyed by fire October 11, 1919.

Louis Osterlund, after working his store for twenty years, sold to Andrew Olson and Co. in 1911 and went out of business. John Osborn started the first sawmill in 1874, and then, in 1881, he sold to John, Jonas, J., and Louis Rudberg, who added furniture and undertaking business. E. Oscar Lindquist was born in Dassel in 1874. In 1896, at the age of only 22, Oscar was the towns postmaster. O. H. Sundahl has launched a feed mill in 1875, ed Lewis began in 1891, and B. G. Waller began in 1897. James B. Lewis And Co. established a woolen mill in 1876, which burned down in 1880. Then the stock company was formed, the factory was rebuilt and again started a business under the name of Dassel woolen mills, with Horace P. breed and Daniel Methven to his managers. They are manufactured all kinds of woolen goods, and the famous" Svenskt Wadmal”, a woolen fabric that is both warm and waterproof.

In 1876, Rundquist, Eric was a blacksmith in Dassel, and two years later he sold a half interest in the store to John M. Johnson. This partnership continued until 1880, when Johnson bought the other half from Rundquist. In 1882, when the firm of Layton & Johnson opened a store, blacksmith shop have been discontinued. Dassels pioneer tailor M. Chellin, who ran an Atelier in 1877 and ran until his death in 1880. In 1881 Peter Westlin entered the business and ran the store until his death in 1883. Peter Norden came to Dassel in 1883 and opened his Atelier. Olof Johnson and A. N. Skoog came in 1889 and opened a tailor shop. Dassels Pioneer lawyer was L. van eman, who opened a law office in 1877, and in 1881 it was replaced by Douglas Martin until 1885, when he moved to Arizona. A. B. Bunting of Minneapolis came in 1887, but returned in 1889 for lack of business. Ed R. Heenan went into the legal business in Dassel in 1904, he stayed for a year then moved to North Dakota.

The first butcher shop was launched in 1876, I. N. McIntyre, who remained in this business until 1882, when he sold out to Joseph E. foster. McIntyre then became an auctioneer, a Hoop-pole buyer, and the village constable. In 1888, foster sold his meat market Francis Marion Boyer, who went by the name Marion. Other owners of meat markets in the early days of Dassel were: John McCollom, Robert Edminster, Jonas Karlsson, J. M. Mattson, WM. R. Benson, O. M. Mattson, Olson and Paul Joseph, Paul, J. E. Sangren, and Alex Lundqvist. Then, butcher had his own abattoir located outside of the village, so almost everything that is sold in the product, with the exception of pickled pigs feet, tripe, oysters, fish and herring.

After working on the railroad, John Vogel came to Dassel in 1877 and settled on a farm in section 20. Samuel A. Lindgren came in November 1879 and he attended school until the spring, when he started working in August Sallbergs store clerk. After two years, John went to Minneapolis to work for a while. Then in the summer of 1883 he returned to Dassel and formed a partnership with John Thompson. The following September, they opened a General merchandise store in the building that they just built. They operated on him for four years, then they sold it to brothers Rudberg. In 1890 he sold Rudbergs interest to Louis Palmersten Stillwater, who remained a member of the firm Rudbergs & Palmersten until 1895, when Nels Rudberg, bought the Peter Rudberg and Louis Palmersten, and the company was dissolved. Palmersten opened a shop of his own and Peter Rudberg, bought of John Clarquist. Later Charles Olson became a partner with Palmersten under the brand name Palmersten & Olson. In 1890 Charles sold his share in the company, and then created a new store, known as Andrew Olson & co. A few years later, Charles sold his share in the business to his brother, Joseph, who became the General Manager of this store. John Norgren & company, dealers in General merchandise, came to the village in the spring of 1875 and established their business. Company"” was his blind son-in-law, J. A. Berlin. The last ten years in the business, he belonged to W. L. and M. Norgren. In 1878, Richard Elliot, veteran of the Civil war, sold his farm elsewhere for interest in a steam saw mill in Dassel. Two years later he sold his interests in the mill and built a hotel which for some time had been leased. In 1881 he took over the hotel. At the same time he began buying and shipping Hoop poles and brushwood.

D. Winck started a shoemaker shop in Dassel in 1877, where he worked for fifteen years, then he retired in 1891 and moved to California. John Henry" Hank” REMIK was published in 1877 and started in a hotel in Dassel house, 1882. In the summer of that year, he engaged in his old trade as a blacksmith, and from January 1, 1883, he went into the saloon business with John C. Larson. Next February, in their place was destroyed by fire. In partnership with the John S. Larson and William Gallagher, REMIK then built a new hotel, the new home of Dassel, the old one having burned down too. At the completion of the hotel, which was of brick and cost about $4.500, the Remick again opened another salon and remained in this business until 1886, when he closed it. James H. Mack Kenny came in 1878, to be Director of the rural schools for two years. In the fall of 1880 he bought an interest in the Elevator Dassel and headed it. Dassel brass band was organized in 1878, with the following composition: V. L. VanEman, Director, Louis Rudberg. John S. Larson. Nels Chelgren. Douglas Martin, Jonas Y. Rudberg. Oliver Bacon. Charles H. Morris, L. G. Babst, I. V. Norgren, George Norton, John E. bunker, and kid rock. In October 1880, August Sallberg to buy Department store brothers Rudberg and moved to Dassel taking part in the business. In February 1883 the building was destroyed by fire, and he immediately put up a brick building. He moved in on September 5 of this year.

John H. Wallace was the first Drayman in 1878, with its white horses. A dray was a low, flatbed wagon without sides, pulled generally on horses or mules. It was used for transport and delivery of all types of goods. He sold to Charles penny in 1889. Charles ran a dray business until 1893, when William R. Benson bought the business from him. He sold the dray line to prevent DeLong in 1894. NIP DeLong was the first white child born in Dassel 16 Aug 1869. Brothers Peterson started a new dray business in 1902, and two years later bought the NIP. In 1906, Ed. Hardy was bought by the brothers Peterson, driving a dray in the course of the year, and then sell the business again NIP DeLong. NIP ran a dray line until 1917, when he sold the brothers Isaacson. The first stables were begun in 1879, John Henry" Hank” REMIK. Hank managed until 1894 when a new barn was built on lot 13 and 14 in block 7. In all the years of his business, he had many masters: the Lafayette N. gate. L. A. Jones. A. E. Ansell, Elliot & HUNTLEY, R. W. Benson, R. T. Elliott and son, and Fred Kohler. The first jewelry store in Dassel belonged to O. H. Sundahl in 1879 and he continued that until 1887, when he moved to California. Then August Swanson opened a store which he operated until 1891, when he moved to Los Angeles. Other jewelers in the early days were J. E. Iversen, R. G. Scott, August Skoog and John Gevart.

Mrs. J. H. Mclntyre started a hat shop hats in 1879 she was sold to John Mrs. M. Johnson in 1884. B. O. Ms. Knapp began a second store in 1894. Next to the General store, departments hats and then those small stores went out of business. Dassels first COP was Henry Adlerbjelke, who was appointed to work on January 1, 1880, H. P. breed, President of the city Council. William porter started a wagon, carriage and repair shop in 1880. It was in this work until 1884, when he moved to Brandon, Minnesota. Henry L. Babst opened the first store in Dassel in the building Andrew Linquist in 1880 and in 1882, he sold to A. M. bell. Bell of creation until 1886, when he sold it to Bartholomew & Co. They then sold the store to William Galiger and William C. Cox, business as Galiger & Cox. In 1889, Cox sold its stake Galiger, who became its sole owner. In 1882, V. L. Leighton and John M. Johnson opened the second store, the partnership continued until 1887, when Johnson became the owner of this business. In 1891, Johnson sold to John Clarquist. Peter Rudberg, bought the store in 1895 and operated it until 1900, when the fire on 12 January destroyed it and all other business locations on Atlantic Avenue at quarter of eight. Then the lot was sold to S. N. Gayner and To. They built a brick building for the new store.

The first fire organization was created in 1881. On 25 July, a petition signed by twelve votes were submitted to the Council, suggesting that the signers of said petition may be known as Dassel hook and ladder fire company, and on motion, the following was adopted:" resolved, that E. H. Remick. V. L. Leighton. L. G. Babst John C. Larson. George Norton. W. S. Maxson. J. H. Mak-Kenny M. Bell. Ionin Y. Rudberg, P. F. Spath. Peter Johnson and John. MacIntyre, to be known as the Dassel hook and ladder fire company, and be entitled to all benefits and subject to any penalties as such in the Statute made and provided.” They were equipped with two dozen rubber buckets, two fire axes, and one hook and ladder truck with ladders. After the citys great fire of February 3, 1883, the village purchased a hand engine Ramsey and hose trolley with 628 feet of hose for $1560. The fire bell was purchased on August 5, 1884, with a weight of 450 pounds, and the cost is $90.81. On may 2, 1884, fire Dassel was organized and called the engine company No. 1.

Dingman And Co. launched the brick factory in the West end in Dassel in 1881, which was in operation until 1885. Some of the older buildings in town are brick Dassel in them. Marion Boyer, a Civil war veteran, worked in the meat market and ran a dray business in Dassel in 1881. William C. Cox did railroad work until 1881, when he purchased a farm on section 33, village of Dassel, where he farmed until 1885. He moved to the city in January of 1886, and within a year he was a member of the firm Johnson & Cox, dealers in agricultural implements, until January 1887. He was then elected city Marshal, but in August he resigned and began to work in the Minnesota and Dakota Elevator Co. Louis Rudberg and Nels Erickson has created a company called Nels Erickson and Co. in 1881, and built a house EN the South-Eastern corner of block 8, but before it was completed a tornado struck Dassel and tore on the second floor of the building. Then it was converted into a one-story building. They opened the shop on November 1, 1881. A post office was located there with Louis Rudberg, his postmaster, who was a member of the Meeker Countys legislature in 1876, and Commissioner of the County in 1877.

Lewis Osterlund arrived from Sweden in 1881, and in March, 1882, Lewis worked in the post office as a clerk, under Louis Rudberg, postmaster and Rudbergs the store there. On January 1, 1883, he was appointed postmaster. Peter trips abroad bought a stake in the store and became a member of the company on 1 December 1882. The store operated for three years and, with a big closing sale, it went out of business. Then the building was used for roller skating rink Dassels. The roller skating became a national craze in 1885. In Dassel belonged to John E. bunker. It was 48 laps around a mile away. 50 and 100-mile race conducted monthly cash prizes. World famous skaters gave exhibitions of trick and fancy skating there. In 1887, the property was sold to J. Norgren & Co. and use them in the General merchandise business until it was destroyed in the great fire, 12 January 1900. Lewis held the position of postmaster until may 1, 1887, after which the firm Osterlund & Leighton was formed and a store was opened.

Olaf Olsen and his family came from Sweden in 1882 and Olson opened a blacksmith shop. Herman Quady was the first pastry shop and snack bar in Dassel, opening it for business on October 1, 1882. In the early days of Dassel, John E. bunker, brothers REMIK, brothers Spath, Moon, and Edminster, Louis Boyer & Edminster, Charles B. Dunn was in different periods in the confectionery business. Many times, postmasters carried a stock of confectionery, because of their compensation in the village, the postmaster was too low to make a living. Wreisner & Mattson has established its business as machinists, blacksmiths, and wagon persons, in 1883, but on October 20, 1887, was destroyed by fire without insurance. Firm Wreisner and Matheson changed Wreisner brothers, and then Wreisner brothers and sons, on the same spot, with garage, workshop and power plant. In Dassel Manufacturing Co. was engaged in business in 1883 from the factory, a foundry and machine shop, with fifteen employees. In Dassel the news-letter of March 13, 1884, they came the announcement follows:" Dassel manufacturing Co. Founders, machinists, blacksmiths and carpenters. The owners of the mills, factories, elevators, and steam engines will find it in their interest to leave their orders for new work or repair Dassel manufacturing Co. manufacturers of all kinds of models and casts, experimental and practical forging machinery, iron and steel, lathe and scroll saw. Persons with complex inventions on their brains, the more difficult the cleaning will generally find ready to help in difficult times, as we had a great experience in such cases. We do drawings, specifications and all in connection with our business.” However, the business failed and the property was sold to Erik Hagelin, which transformed it into a flour and feed mill in 1885, which he operated successfully until 1912, when it was discontinued. On the death of Louis Rudberg on January 10, 1884, and Jonas Rudberg, Y. in 1885 John Rudberg, paid off the heirs and continued the business until 1896, when he resigned and sold by B. Bresden with E. L. Larson as his Manager. In a few years, it was purchased by the Larson brothers. Agricultural machinery, wagons, buggies and bicycles were also sold.

On April 1, 1882, was in a barbershop started by F. E. Soule, but after two years he went out of business. In 1889, a store was opened by Thomas Jefferson, the black Barber shop the only black family that ever lived in Dassel. In 1891 he sold his business to ed and Jumer in 1893, the store was sold to Charles Robinson. B. B. Bartlett opened a Barber shop in 1893, which was destroyed by fire in 1894, in the same store Leightons time burned. Then Bartlett moved to Hackensack. Robert N. Doucette went in the Barber business in 1896, but three years later he moved to Cokato. In those days, shave was 10 cents, haircuts 25 cents. Then no one of any shaved. He had a brush and a mug with his name and home or business engraved on it, resting on the closet nook in the wall in the barbershop.

In 1885 George. John. Sundquist Norwood moved to Dassel, built a store building and put in a stock of drugs. For several months he got rid of drugs and opened a small store with photo gallery. He sold the shop and then ran a gallery in itself for many years. Now tin-type in the past and Sundquist did the usual photos. The first harness shop in Dassel began Theodore A. Pramhus in 1885, and later, he sold M. Halvorson. In 1891, Halvorson sold the business to John Sandell. John ran until 1894, when he closed it. Stock and tools were sold to Frank Rudberg, who opened a store which he operated until 1901, when he sold out brown equipment. Frank worked for them. Later, he did the same work in the shop of Fred Rudberg, and then for many years S. N. Gayner & Company and brothers Gayner. Peter Johnson opened a second mill in Dassel in 1885, and he sold it to John Rudberg in 1887. The hotel was built by Peter in 1887 and its first owner was Edward Taylor. It was destroyed by fire in 1903 and has not been restored.

In the spring of 1885, John J. Sundquist came to town and bought ten acres of land adjacent to the city where he made his residence. Later that same season, he purchased a city lot and put a brick store building. In the summer of 1886, Sundquist put in a stock of drugs and shoes, and later added clothing, boots and shoes. In connection with this case, he carried on a photographic art gallery in the second floor of his house. A sawmill was built by John Norgren & Johnson in 1885. In August 1886, Harry Herbert Hines came in Dassel and took over the Minnesota and Dakota Elevator. In 1886 John Osterman started a tin-shop on second street. He sold the business in 1889 by the brothers, swanberg, who then added a full line of equipment and in 1891 they sold out to Peterson & Wickstrom. In 1901, brown equipment Co., with D. S. brown as his Manager opened a shop that sells Fred Rudberg in 1903 who operated it in connection with his furniture business until his death June 29, 1905. Then he began to keep the brothers Holm.

Per Ekstrom, ex-lawman, was published in 1886 and is working with Peter Johnson from Litchfield real estate. In 1886, Peter Johnson the reason Swedish stove construction in Dassel, the only one of its kind in the country. The exhibition of his stoves were made at the industrial exhibition in Minneapolis in 1886 and 1887. They were called Kakslungs, but they could not compete with American plates because of their high cost, so in a few years the factory went out of business. Charles H. Nash founded the factory in 1887, which he operated until 1889, when he sold out to Charles L. phifer. Phifer continued until 1905, when he stopped making cigars and left. His most popular and sold cigars called" Gold leaf”.

Dassels baseball club was the champion team of the Central Minnesota in 1887 and 1903. The team consisted of 1887 Watson, the catcher, Herkimer, pitcher, O. Nash, first base G. Nash, second base, McNulty, third base, Miller, shortstop, Kearns, left field, S. N. our midfield, and Ben records right field. The dough, in 1887, had four strikes and five balls, and fouls were just fouls and not strikes, so they dont count anything. Dassels baseball until 1903 was as follows: Lee Wright, catcher, Tom Riff, jug, Louis Boyer, first base, Arthur Nelson, second base, Charles Gibney, third base, William A. Linquist, buddies, albert colberg, left field, Charles W. Henke, center field, and Fred F. Spath to right field. M. A. Scheldrup Leo opened a drugstore in 1887, selling Heedles Anton in 1889, who operated the store until 1891, then moved to Minneapolis. In 1891, Ben A. records left his post in the village of Marshall and opened a pastry shop and a diner, which he sold to E. brown, Jr., in 1893. In 1894, records bought out his former place of business. R. S. Trudgen started the pharmacy in Dassel in 1900, which he continued for two years, when he moved to the warehouse for shell lake, Wisconsin. The Peterson brothers opened a pharmacy in 1905.

In January 1887, Dr. John H. Kaufman arrived in Dassel from Virginia. Andrew swanberg opened a sawmill in 1889, and he sold it to John Rudberg in 1891. On July 4, 1891 Charles L. phifer held a popularity contest to select the four most suitable citizens of the village. In Meeker Cooperation. Then cigar factory placed a new cigar on the market with the image of Ben A. records, Luis M. Norgren, John H. Kaufman, and John Riordan on the cover of the box which soon proved to be their best seller. They were the lowest in this competition. Fred Rudberg entered the sawmill in 1902, but was sold to the Larson brothers in 1903. In 1893, the Dassel anchor, the newspaper began to publish. October 10, 1896, Dassel people gathered at the depot, expecting to hear William Jennings Bryan give a speech, but its Northern engine No. 131-FZ, the train went through at sixty miles an hour, killing one person and scattering the people in all directions. In 1897 Campion & Wolfenden was a portable tent gallery specializing in appearance. They enjoyed a good business for two years, then moved to another location. Iverson And Co. started the sawmill in 1902 and sold it to Herman Manthei in 1910. Then it was running V. J. Manthei, under the brand name Manthei & Manthei.

In 1897, Dassel was a race-track in Dassel driving Park, three laps to the mile, which has been in use on the bike and racing for several years. The coming of the automobile, it seemed to decrease the interest in those sports, so during the time she was terminated. Then the track was used as the Fairgrounds and baseball and soccer games. In 1898, the case of ray F. sold his drug business to Dr. John H. Kaufmann, who combined it with his Ada McCoy & co. store. Dassels first commercial telephone line was built in 1898 from the post office in Dassel shop the brothers Murphy in Kingston. You could talk as long as you wanted for pennies. Later, it was connected with the local telephone exchange. Northwestern Bell Telephone Co. reached Dassel in 1900, long-distance stand was in the office of the Dassel anchor print. Then Tri-state telephone and Telegraph. line came, and unites with the North-West of the bell tower. In Collinwood and Dassel telephone Co. started a business exchange, covering the village and surrounding country.

In 1898 William A. Linquist set, jewelry, bike, and shop and has been in this line of business until 1904, when he sold to L. B. Wheeler. John M. Johnson opened a store in 1900 that was destroyed in a fire this fall. In 1900 Erik Hagelin, William A. Linquist, Charles S. Linquist, Minnie B. Linquist, Oscar E. Linquist built two-storey house, 80×116, at the corner of Atlantic Avenue and third street. After its completion, he was busy post office Dassel, Charles Robisons Barber, hardware, Cutlery William A. Linquists, jewelry and Bicycle shop, General brothers Norgren product, and Olson and Co. General Merchandise. On the second floor was Linquists O. E. living room, Ben A. entry, E. D. Murphy, and Nelsons Axel two apartments, the offices of Dr. John Kauffmans H. In Dassel anchor printing in Dassel & Collinwood telephone Co. in the hall of the A. O. U. W., Dassel and Opera. In the basement, was Boyer & Edminsters Bowling. The building was destroyed by fire September 12, 1931. Fred Rudberg Dassels owned the First car in 1904. It was a Rambler, named after the bike of the same name. Then it was Nash.

. Building a mushroom on the North side of highway 12, was formerly a gas station. It is now a landmark in Dassel and in the summer, from June to August, there is entertainment on this site one evening each week. A few years ago I worked there. Every year on the weekend of labor Day, busy Dassel red rooster days, a tradition that began in 1959. Universal laboratories building in Dassel is listed on the national register of historic places. There is a wonderful place for disabled adults to work in Dassel. It is called the red rooster and my down syndrome daughter, Christina, works there every day. They also participate in again and Again thrift store on highway 12.

                                     
  • Dassel Township is a township in Meeker County, Minnesota United States. The population was 1, 361 at the 2000 census. The township surrounds the city
  • school he won the Minnesota All Around Cowboy title twice and placed fourth in the nation in steer wrestling. Dille lives in Dassel Minnesota with his wife
  • 728th Avenue, two miles south of Dassel Minnesota and is property of Gethsemane Lutheran Church, Dassel Minnesota The cemetery is maintained and operated
  • Universal Laboratories Building is a building in Dassel Minnesota United States, listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It was listed on
  • He was president of Minnesota State University Moorhead MSUM from 1968 to 1994. Dille was born on a farm near Dassel Minnesota He took a bachelor s
  • interment is in Dassel Cemetery, Dassel Minnesota List of United States Senators born outside the United States Minnesota Legislators Past and Present Magnus
  • KARP - FM 106.9 FM, Hit 106 is a radio station licensed to serve Dassel Minnesota United States. The station, which began broadcasting in 1968, is
  • No. 48 School Dassel Minnesota in Collinwood Township, listed on the National Register of Historic Places in Meeker County, Minnesota District No. 48
  • America traces its foundation back to a church or churches organized at Dassel Minnesota in 1893 by Swedish Free Baptist immigrants, known as the Scandinavian
  • Silver Lake, Dassel and Grass Lake Stockholm Wildlife Management Area. Wright County Road 3 is also in the immediate area. Stockholm, Minnesota Geographic
  • Meeker County, Minnesota United States, near Dassel The community is located along Meeker County Road 5 near 740th Avenue. Lamson, Minnesota Geographic