ⓘ Cleveland, Minnesota

                                     

ⓘ Cleveland, Minnesota

Cleveland was established as a village in 1854, and incorporated as a city in 1904. The community was named after Cleveland, Ohio.

Under its founders, Cleveland was the city of temperance, and, thus, voted against licensing saloons in the city.

In 1859, Cleveland and the surrounding Le Sueur began a heated rivalry for the role of Le Sueur County place. The rivalry continued with minor bloodshed until 1875, when a group of Cleveland citizens organized a militia to take the County by force. The militia withdrew from Le Sueur County. After more than a year of the district, Le centre agreed to take the seat where it remains today.