ⓘ Oronoko Charter Township, Michigan

                                     

ⓘ Oronoko Charter Township, Michigan

Oronoko Charter Township is a charter township of Berrien County in the U.S. state of Michigan. The population was 9.193 at the 2010 census.

The village of Berrien springs is the only incorporated municipality in the village. Most of the Eastern part of the city is part of the city Berrien springs. In the Western part is predominantly agriculture.

The town was organized March 11, 1837, from parts of Berrien township. Part of the area was known as the village of Pera beginning in the 1830-ies.

Oronoko initially included what is now lake township, which was organized in 1846. Initially, part of the Oronoko and Berrien townships on both sides of the river St. Joseph, and while a large part of the village of Berrien springs was in the city of Berrien township, while he was on the other side of the river from the town. In 1847 on the river was made the dividing line between towns.

There are several accounts given the name of the village. One is that he was named by Governor Stevens T. Mason, after the Indian chief named "Oronoko". However, apart from this story, there is no record that there ever was such a boss. The other is that it is a variant spelling of Orinoco, the name of a South American river that was adopted with various spellings in other States besides Michigan: Oronoco, Minnesota, and Oronoque, Kansas. Others believe that the village was named in honor of the literary character Oroonoko, which was also derived from the South American river. The latter possibility is suggested that the Vogel is that the name was taken from a variety of tobacco known as oronoco, Orinoko, or oronooka.

Andrews University Seventh-day Adventist is located in the city.