ⓘ Medway, Massachusetts

                                     

ⓘ Medway, Massachusetts

Medway originally Midway was first settled in 1657 and was officially incorporated in 1713. At that time, Medway began as a farming community of two hundred thirty-three. It was not long before the water power of the Charles River and Chicken Brook stimulated the formation of cotton and paper mills, straw and boot factories, and a variety of cottage industries. Medway demonstrates the central importance of the Charles River and the thriving town that grew alongside it. Today, the one-room schoolhouses are gone and the country stores have moved to the mall, but the open town meetings continue.

After nearby Medfield was founded in 1651, a greater number of newcomers settled on the land West of the Charles river. By 1712, this settlement West of the Charles had grown large enough to petition the Massachusetts General court to create a new city. This request was granted, and the town of Medway was registered on 25 Oct 1713. For its founder, Henry Garnsey, and over 170 years later, the town of Medway included in Millis. In the end, in the Eastern part of the city known as East Medway, separated in 1885 to form the town of Millis and Medway assumed the shape that it has today.

The main cause for the independent formation of Millis from Medway was the physical separation caused by a massive tract of undevelopable land, the so-called in those days, the great black swamp. Black swamp in the geographic center point of Medway and East Medway. The land was to be developed, it would be ideal for Central meeting houses, and churches and schools. However, since a dense forest / swamp was completely undevelopable, this forced the residents of Medway and East Medway to form a separate community with their own needs, such as meeting room and churches. Despite this natural separation, the town remained single for over 170 years.

The oldest road in Medway was laid out in 1670 and was known as the old road of Myeongdong. Since that time this road was known by many names, including the road in the desert, old County road, the middle post road, and most recently, the village street. The village street runs from the Millis border in the East and winds along the Charles river in the end before joining the main street only to the border is Bellingham to the West. In the centre of the Old town of Medway can be found along this road, with the Central location of activity in the Village of midway, where Holliston street intersects with village street.

In 1869, all the streets in Medway were officially named. Many of the streets end up losing their original names, and instead was named in honor of influential citizens past and present. Some examples of this were, of pine hill road was Winthrop street, vine lane was Kelly street, Candlewood island road was named Oakland street, and the old Hartford highway was called main street. A few other examples of roads in Medway named past residents include Lovering street, Adams street, partridge street, Ellis street, Clark street, coffee street, and Barber street.

                                     
  • Medway High School is a public high school in Medway Massachusetts United States. The High School is the newest of the four schools in Medway The building
  • is a former postal village located in Massachusetts now within the towns of Holliston in Middlesex County, Medway in Norfolk County and Milford in Worcester
  • Medway station was a railroad station in Medway Massachusetts It served the West Medway Branch later the Millis Branch and opened in 1861. Medway
  • Medway Public Schools is a public school district in Norfolk County, Massachusetts United States, based in Medway Massachusetts Medway Public Schools
  • Kansas, in Medway Township, Hamilton County, Kansas Medway Maine, a town in Penobscot County Medway Massachusetts a town in Norfolk County Medway Ohio
  • The Medway Village Historic District encompasses a historic 19th century industrial village in southeastern Medway Massachusetts The village grew as
  • and is bordered by Norfolk, Sherborn, Holliston, Medfield, and Medway Massachusetts state routes 109 and 115 run through Millis. Millis was first settled
  • lawyer, and owner breeder of Thoroughbred racehorses. Born in Medway Massachusetts the son of Sewall Sanford and Edena Holbrook, Milton Sanford would
  • Hartford. It ran from Dedham southwest to West Medway where it continued as the earlier Ninth Massachusetts Turnpike and Boston Turnpike to Hartford, Connecticut
  • The PS Medway Queen is a paddle driven steamship, the only mobile estuary paddle steamer left in the United Kingdom. She was one of the little ships of