ⓘ Columbia Falls, Maine

                                     

ⓘ Columbia Falls, Maine

The town began as Township 13 SD, BPP, which was joined together with Township 12 by the Massachusetts General Court on February 8, 1796 and incorporated as Columbia. It was settled soon after the Revolutionary War. On March 25, 1863, the town was set off from Columbia and incorporated as Columbia Falls.

Lumbering and shipbuilding brought the town prosperity and endowed it a wonderful early architecture. This includes the Ruggles house 1818-1820, a fine Federal house, which is now a Museum and Church Union 1849, Greek revival meetinghouse, which since 1902 the town hall, libraries and archives. Washington County Train arrived at Columbia falls in 1898. Tourism and harvesting blueberries are the important industries, together with the production of Christmas trees and wreaths.