ⓘ Morrill, Maine
Morrill is situated in the central part of Waldo County, 6½ miles west of Belfast. The surface of the town is uneven, but with very little waste land. Morey and Rowe hills are probably the highest elevations, though these have no great altitude. The soil is sandy in parts, and in others clay loam. Hay and potatoes are the chief crops. The usual forest trees of the region thrive here. Cross Pond, in this town, contains about 100 acres 40 ha, and another - Dolliff - about 50 acres 200.000 m 2. The chief water-power is at the village on the east on the Passagassawakeag Stream. There are here shingle and stave mills, and a horse-rake factory. Morrill is on the Belfast and Kendall’s Mills stage-line. The nearest railroad station is at Belfast. The town roads are very good. There is one bridge 120 feet 37 m in length, constructed of stone and timber.
Morrill was registered on March 3, 1855, was named for the Honorable Anson P. Morrill, former Governor of the state. The first settlements were made by James Weymouth, Benjamin Smith, Joseph Corning and Nathaniel Cushman, in 1801 and 1802. They purchased their lands of General Henry Knox, owner of the Waldo patent.
The climate in this city is quite healthy. There are four residents were over eighty years old, and four between seventy and eighty. The Grange has a nice house that is used as the town hall. There is a Methodist society in the city, and a prayer house in the village. The city has five public schools. All school property is estimated at $2.500. Valuation of estates in 1870 was $133.099. In 1880 it was $122.098. The tax rate in the past was for tax money, 42 mills on the dollar. The population in 1870 was 523. In 1880 it was 494.