ⓘ Corinth, Maine

                                     

ⓘ Corinth, Maine

Colin Palmer was the founder of Corinth. In 1792 he built his home on Lot 10 First Range. Tibbetts enlisted as a private in Captain Reuben Dyers company at the age of 17 on May 26, 1777, from Gouldsboro, Maine. Tibbetts grave, with an official grave marker of a Revolutionary War soldier, is found in the East Exeter cemetery.

The city was settled in the late 1790s to the extended family of Daniel Skinner and originally called "Ohio". There are still "Ohio street" in nearby Bangor, being a part of the original road or trail connecting this city with what is now Corinth. When the city was incorporated in 1811, it changed its name to Corinth, a reference to classical Greek cities. Several Penobscot County towns included in the same period such as Etna, Carmel, and Levant, and Troy, in neighboring Waldo County was also given exotic names referring to the ancient Mediterranean world, probably in order to attract settlers. Some of these names also have biblical references.

By the mid-19th century the town had three villages: East Corinth, West Corinth, and South Corinth. East Corinth emerged as large, and five workshops for the manufacture of carriages and sleighs local specialty in 1850-ies.

The village of Skinners in West Corinth listed on the national register of historic places. This early village-the landscape of the 19th century includes a General store, a schoolhouse and a Methodist Church. In Robeyville covered bridge Near East Corinth are also included in the national register and is one of very few such bridges to survive in Maine.