ⓘ Easton, Maine

                                     

ⓘ Easton, Maine

In 1851, the first known residence in the Easton wilderness was built by Henry Wilson, who had taught school in Presque Isle. When Solomon Bolster arrived in 1854, he joined Henry Wilson and Augustus Rackliffe, its sole residents. In 1855-1856, Noah Barker partitioned the township into 142 lots of 160 acres in size, thereby determining its layout. The state opened it for settlement and, on July 26, 1856, it was organized as the Fremont Plantation. A schoolhouse was built in 1858 and the first of several lumber mills was constructed in another year. By 1860, the population was 320. Growth of the population slowed during the Civil War, and the town of Easton was incorporated 1865. Economic growth was slow, evidenced by an 1862 record that taxes should be paid in grain or shingles. The first store was opened in 1863. A starch factory was built in 1877, and a steam shingle mill in 1879. Easton became "one of the greatest potato producing towns in the County". The 1880s saw the appearance of the Methodists, Free Will Baptists and the Odd Fellows. By 1880 the population was 835, by 1890, 978.