ⓘ Wingo, Kentucky

                                     

ⓘ Wingo, Kentucky

Wingo was established in 1854 as a stop along the New Orleans and Ohio Railroad, a predecessor line of the Illinois Central. The city was originally named "Wingos Station" for local landowner Jerman J. Wingo, who provided the land for the depot. A post office was moved to the station from nearby Point Curve in 1862, and the city incorporated in 1872. The "Station" was dropped from the name in 1882.