ⓘ Aplington, Iowa

                                     

ⓘ Aplington, Iowa

In the summer of 1857, the village of Aplington was laid out and platted by the proprietors, Thomas Nash, R. R. Parriott, Zenas Aplington and Theodore A. Wilson on Sec. 29, but being unable to secure on reasonable terms, the right of way for a tail race, he gave up the project. However, John Matthews & Son, of Jackson county formed a stock company, with a capital of $14.000, in 1872. A mill was built, but before its completion certain of the stockholders refused to meet their obligations on stock issued them, which retarded the industry for a while. The Matthews finally turned over their interest to William Dobbins and the latter disposed of a controlling amount of the stock to A. L. Morris & Son, who had the mill running in September, 1877. After this the mill had several owners.

Spring hill Creamery began operations in the spring of 1881, on section 20. The owners at this time Markey & Dodswell gave employment to several men and consumed a huge amount of milk delivered from the surrounding farms. One of the largest and most profitable industries in this section of the County is dairy products.