ⓘ Redkey, Indiana

                                     

ⓘ Redkey, Indiana

Redkey was named for James Redkey, who platted an addition to the town when the railroad was built through it in 1867. The area was originally known as the Wade Settlement, after the family of Josiah Wade, who settled there in 1836. His son William Harrison Wade platted a village there in 1854, which he called Mt. Vernon. James Redkey platted his addition in 1856, but when application was made for a government post office, the name Mt. Vernon was already taken, so the name of Redkey was chosen. Redkey was incorporated in 1883.

In Redkey historic district was listed on the National register of historic places in 1992.