ⓘ Durlach

                                     

ⓘ Durlach

Durlach was bestowed by emperor Frederick II on the margrave Hermann V of Zahringen as an allodial possession.

It was chosen by the Margrave Charles II in 1565 as residence of the rulers of Baden-Durlach, and retained this distinction though it was almost completely destroyed by the French in 1689.

Margrave Karl III Wilhelm decided he needed more space which led to the creation of Karlsruhe in 1715, which three years later became the new capital until the state became part of the Grand Duchy of Baden.

In 1846 it was the seat of the Congress of the Liberal party in the Baden Parliament. In 1849, during the Baden Revolution, it was the meeting place between the Prussians and the insurgents.

In 1938 Durlach was incorporated into Karlsruhe, which has now been more and connected the canal and the alley of poplars on the left Bank of the Pfinz, at the foot of Turmberg.

During the Second world war, 329 people were killed in Durlach.

Georg Friedrich von Reichenbach and Ernst Ludwig Posselt 1763-1804, historian were natives of the city.