ⓘ Free online encyclopedia. Did you know? page 707

English Maelor

English Maelor comprises one half of the Maelor region on the Welsh side of the Wales-England border, being the area of the Maelor east of the River Dee. The region has changed counties several times, previously being part of Cheshire and later a ...

Exestan

Exestan was one of the original twelve Hundreds of Cheshire bordering Wales to the west. It appears in the Domesday Book in 1066 under the control of various Lordships including Thorth of Wroxeter. There were 9 settlements within the Hundred, sev ...

Hanmer, Wales

Hanmer is a village and a local government community, the lowest tier of local government, part of Wrexham County Borough in Wales. At the 2001 Census the population of the Hanmer community area, which includes Hanmer village itself, Horsemans Gr ...

Holywell Rural District

Holywell was a rural district in the administrative county of Flintshire, Wales, from 1894 to 1974. The district was created by the local government act 1894 as successor to Holywell rural sanitary district. The rural district Council was based i ...

Maelor Rural District

Maelor was a rural district in the administrative county of Flintshire, Wales, from 1894 to 1974. The area approximated to the hundred of Maelor or English Maelor, and was notable for forming a detached part of the county, surrounded by Cheshire, ...

Marford

Marford is a village in the county borough of Wrexham near the Wales-England border. Marford covers some 750 acres of 3.0 km 2, where the hills of North-East Wales meet the Cheshire plain. Distant landmarks that are visible from Marford include E ...

Overton Rural District

Overton Rural District was formed by the Local Government Act 1894 which created numerous administrative areas around the country. The district was located in an exclave of Flintshire known as English Maelor, surrounded by Cheshire, Denbighshire ...

Penycloddiau

Penycloddiau is a hill in Flintshire, Wales, and one of five Marilyns in the Clwydian Range. Hill, like foel Fenlli and Moel Arthur to the South is the iron age hillfort at its summit. It occupies 26 hectares 64 hectares, making it one of the lar ...

Kibbor

Kibbor is one of the hundreds of Glamorgan created by the Laws in Wales Acts 1535 corresponding approximately to the commote of Kwmwd Kibwr of the former Senghenydd Cantref Breinyawl with the addition of Llandaff. It was formed from the parishes ...

Lordship of Glamorgan

The Lordship of Glamorgan was one of the most powerful and wealthy of the Welsh Marcher Lordships. The seat was Cardiff Castle. It was established by the conquest of Glamorgan from its native Welsh ruler, by the Anglo-Norman nobleman Robert FitzH ...

Penwyllt

Penwyllt is a hamlet located in the upper Swansea Valley in Powys, Wales. A former mining village, quicklime and silica brick production centre, its fortunes rose and fell as the result of the industrial revolution in South Wales. Now an importan ...

Caernarfon town walls

Caernarfons town walls are a medieval defensive structure around the town of Caernarfon in North Wales. The walls were constructed between 1283 and 1292 after the foundation of Caernarfon by Edward I, alongside the adjacent castle. The walls are ...

Capel Newydd, Nanhoron

Capel Newydd, Nanhoron, near Llanengan, Gwynedd, Wales is probably the oldest surviving Nonconformist chapel in North Wales. The chapel dates from 1770-72. Restored in the Victorian era and again in 1956-58, its interior is a remarkably complete ...

Llanegryn

Llanegryn is a village and a community in Gwynedd, north-west Wales. It was formerly part of the historic county of Merionethshire. It is located within Snowdonia National Park south of the Snowdonia mountain range. Travelling by road, it is arou ...

Pen Llystyn

Pen Llystyn, sometimes referred to as Pen Llys Tyn, was a Roman fort located to the north of Bryncir, between Porthmadog and Caernarfon in Gwynedd, north Wales. The fort itself stands on the east bank of the Afon Dwyfach.

Brecon Mountain Railway

The Brecon Mountain Railway is a 1 ft 11 3 ⁄ 4 in narrow gauge tourist railway on the south side of the Brecon Beacons. It climbs northwards from Pant along the full length of the Pontsticill Reservoir and continues past the adjoining Pentwyn Res ...

Cefn-coed-y-cymmer

Cefn-coed-y-cymmer is a small community on the northwestern edge of Merthyr Tydfil County Borough in Wales. It is situated in the neck of land between the rivers Taf Fawr and Taf Fechan at their confluence. The village lies within the community o ...

Morlais Castle

Morlais Castle is a 13th-century castle located above the Taff Gorge near the town of Merthyr Tydfil in Wales. Not much remains today of the castle first began Gilbert de Clare, 3rd Earl of Gloucester on Land claimed Humphrey de Bohun, 3rd Earl o ...

1 Monk Street, Monmouth

1 Monk Street, Monmouth was built as a Working Mens Free Institute. It is a Grade II Listed building in Monmouth, Wales and located next to Monmouth Baptist Church. Architect Benjamin Lawrence of Newport, who later designed the Church next door. ...

Abergavenny Hundred

Abergavenny was an ancient hundred of Monmouthshire. It was located in the Northern part of the province, bounded on the North by Herefordshire, on the East by the hundreds of skenfrith, so, Raglan and USK in the South of Wentloog hundred, in the ...

Priory Church of St Mary, Abergavenny

The Priory Church of St Mary, Abergavenny is a parish church in the centre of Abergavenny in Monmouthshire, Wales. SV. Marys was called the "Westminster Abbey of Wales" because of its large size, and numerous high status funerary monuments and me ...

The Angel Hotel, Monmouth

The Angel Hotel, Church Street, Monmouth, Monmouthshire, south-east Wales is a Grade II listed building. The building was in use as an inn in 1700 and closed in 1985, the longest period of continuous history of any public house in Monmouth. The b ...

The Argoed, Penallt

The Argoed, Penallt, Monmouthshire, Wales, is a Victorian country house dating from the 1860s, with earlier origins from the late 16th and early 17th centuries. It is a Grade II* listed building, and sits on a hill above Monmouth overlooking the ...

Bedwas, Trethomas and Machen

Bedwas, Trethomas and Machen is a community and an electoral ward in the county borough of Caerphilly, constituting the villages of Machen, Trethomas, Bedwas, and Upper and Lower Graig-y-Rhacca. It lies in the Caerphilly Basin in the shadow of My ...

Bedwellty

Bedwellty was a parish and urban district in Monmouthshire, South Wales, until 1974. The ancient parish was very large, including the ABB and the upper Sirhowy valley. The number of coal industry grew in the parish, and in the 19th century they b ...

Caldicot and Wentloog Levels

The Caldicot and Wentloog Levels are two areas of low-lying estuarine alluvial wetland and intertidal mudflats adjoining the north bank of the Severn Estuary, either side of the River Usk estuary near Newport in south east Wales. They are also kn ...

Caldicot Hundred

Caldicot was an ancient hundred of Monmouthshire, Wales. It was located in the southeastern part of the province, bordered to the North by the hundreds of USK and Raglan, on the East by Gloucestershire, on the South by the Bristol channel, in the ...

Castle House, Usk

Castle House in Usk, Monmouthshire, Wales, originally formed the gatehouse to Usk Castle. Much altered in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, it is now a private home and a Grade I listed building.

Priory Church of St Mary, Chepstow

The Parish and Priory Church of St. Mary is located in Chepstow, Monmouthshire, south east Wales. Parts of the building, including its ornate west doorway, date from the late 11th century and are contemporary with the nearby Norman castle. The ch ...

Chepstow Rural District

Chepstow Rural District was a rural district in the administrative county of Monmouthshire, Wales. It was established under the Local Government Act 1894, and was abolished in 1974 when its functions were assumed by the new Monmouth District Coun ...

Church of All Saints, Kemeys Commander

The hamlets of Kemeys Commander and Kemeys Inferior formed part of the Monmouthshire estates of the Knights Templar. The Templars administered their holdings through commandry, accounting for the name of the hamlet. A reference to a church on the ...

Church of St Illtyd, Mamhilad

The Church of St Illtyd, Mamhilad, Monmouthshire, Wales, is a parish church with its origins in the 11th century. Renovations took place in the 19th century and again in 1999–2000. It is a Grade II* listed building and an active parish church.

Church of St Mary and St Michael, Llanarth

The Church of St Mary and St Michael, Llanarth, Monmouthshire, was built as the family chapel for Llanarth Court. It was the first Roman Catholic church constructed in the county since the Dissolution of the Monasteries in the mid-16th century. B ...

Church of St Maughan, Llangattock Vibon Avel

The Church of St Maughan in St. Maughans, Monmouthshire, Wales, is a parish church with its origins in the 13th or 14th century. It was reconstructed in the mid 19th century by John Pollard Seddon for John Etherington Welch Rolls of The Hendre in ...

Church of St Michael and All Angels, Llanvihangel-Ystern-Llewern

The Church of St Michael and All Angels, Llanvihangel-Ystern-Llewern, Monmouthshire, Wales, is a parish church with its origins in the 15th century. Renovations took place in the 19th century under the direction of Thomas Henry Wyatt. It is a Gra ...

Church of St Nicholas, Trellech

The Church of St Nicholas, Trellech, Monmouthshire is a parish church with its origins in the 14th century. The historical and architectural evidence suggests that it was constructed largely in a single building period c.1300. The style is Decora ...

Church of St Oudoceus, Llandogo

The Church of St Oudoceus, Llandogo, Monmouthshire is a parish church built in 1859-61. The church is dedicated to St Oudoceus, an early Bishop of Llandaff who retired to Llandogo and was reputed to have died there in about AD 700. Designed by th ...

Church of St Stephen and St Tathan, Caerwent

The Church of St Stephen and St Tathan, Caerwent, Monmouthshire is a parish church with datable origins to the 13th century. It is believed to be one of the oldest Christian sites in the county, and possibly within Wales. The Church is sited with ...

Church of St Thomas à Becket, Wolvesnewton

The Church of St Thomas à Becket, Wolvesnewton, Monmouthshire has its origins in the 13th century. Restored in the 19th century, it remains an active parish church. St Thomass is a Grade II* listed building. The medieval churchyard cross was rest ...

Church of the Holy Cross, Kilgwrrwg

The Church of the Holy Cross, Kilgwrrwg, Monmouthshire is an early medieval parish church that once supported a now abandoned village. A Grade II* listed building, the church remains an active parish church.

Dingestow Court

Dingestow Court, at Dingestow, Monmouthshire, Wales, is a Victorian country house with earlier origins and later additions. The architectural historian John Newman describes it as "one of the countys major houses" and Cadw notes its "entertaining ...

Diocese of Monmouth

The Diocese of Monmouth is a diocese of the Church in Wales. Despite the name, its cathedral is located not in Monmouth but in Newport - the Cathedral Church of St Woolos. Reasons for not choosing the title of Newport included the existence of a ...

High House, Penrhos, Monmouthshire

High House, Penrhos, Monmouthshire is an important Renaissance house dating from the 17th century. Its style, with its exceptionally high roofline, is unique in Monmouthshire. It is a Grade II* listed building.

Hyams Mineral Water Works

Hyams Mineral Water Works is a nineteenth century building at 23 Glendower Street, Monmouth, Wales. Formerly a mineral water works, it is currently used as residential apartments. The building holds one of the 24 blue plaques awarded by the Monmo ...

Llanddewi Court

Llanddewi Court, Llanddewi Skirrid, Monmouthshire, Wales, is a Grade II* listed house dating from the late 16th century. It is an example of a "double-house", a building in two sections, originally without interconnections, and designed to accomm ...

Stable Block at Llanvihangel Court, Monmouthshire

Llanvihangel Court, Llanvihangel Crucorney, is a Tudor country house in Monmouthshire, Wales. The architectural historian John Newman, in his Gwent/Monmouthshire volume of The Buildings of Wales series described the court as "the most impressive ...

Llanwenarth Baptist Chapel

Llanwenarth Baptist Chapel, Govilon, Monmouthshire is the oldest Baptist chapel in Wales. Founded in 1652, the present building was constructed in 1695, and was remodelled in the 18th, 19th and 21st centuries. The chapel is a Grade II* listed bui ...

Magor Rural District

Magor Rural District is a defunct district council. It was established under the provisions of the Local Government Act 1894 and comprised the parishes of Bishopston, Kemeys, Christchurch, Goldcliff, Langstone, Llandevenny, Llanwern, Llanvaches, ...

Monmouth Fire and Rescue Station

Monmouth Fire and Rescue Station is located on the Rockfield Road, Monmouth, Wales. The station looks after Monmouth and its surrounding area, and is part of the South Wales Fire and Rescue Service. There is currently one Retained Watch. Monmouth ...

Monmouth Gasworks

Monmouth Gasworks was the facility for making town gas in Monmouth, Wales. The gasworks had its coal delivered by the Coleford, Monmouth, Usk and Pontypool Railway and was frequented by Charles Rolls to fill up his balloon.