ⓘ Free online encyclopedia. Did you know? page 700

The Islands

The Islands was a provincial electoral district in the Canadian province of British Columbia. It first appeared on the hustings in the 1890 provincial election and lasted until it was integrated into the new riding Nanaimo and The Islands at the ...

Nanaimo City

Nanaimo City was a provincial electoral district in the city of Nanaimo, British Columbia in Canada from 1890 to 1912. It was one of two Nanaimo ridings at the time, created out of the older Nanaimo riding, with intermediary ridings The Islands a ...

Newcastle (electoral district)

Newcastle was a provincial electoral district in the Canadian province of British Columbia to the south and including some of the city of Nanaimo. It appeared in the 1916 and 1920 elections only. In 1924, portions of it were incorporated into the ...

Oak Bay (electoral district)

Oak Bay was a provincial electoral district in the Canadian province of British Columbia. It first appeared in the general election of 1941 and last appeared in the 1975 election. Its successor is the Oak Bay-Gordon Head riding. For other ridings ...

Saanich and the Islands

Saanich and the Islands was a provincial electoral district in the Canadian province of British Columbia from 1966 to 1986. Most of the riding is now part of Saanich North and the Islands, while the southern part of the riding is now Saanich Sout ...

Victoria (British Columbia electoral district)

Victoria was a provincial electoral district in the Canadian province of British Columbia, and was one of the first twelve ridings at the time of that provinces joining Confederation in 1871 and stayed on the hustings until 1890. From 1894 to 196 ...

Victoria City (provincial electoral district)

Victoria City was one of the first twelve provincial electoral districts in the province of British Columbia, Canada, upon its entry into Confederation that year. It was originally a four-member riding, and elected to the Legislature several prom ...

Victoria-Hillside

Its final MLA was Rob Fleming, a former Victoria City Councillor and former University of Victoria Students Society chairperson. He was first elected as a city councillor in 1999. He represents the British Columbia New Democratic Party.

88th Battalion (Victoria Fusiliers), CEF

The 88th Battalion, CEF was a unit in the Canadian Expeditionary Force during the First World War. Based in Victoria, British Columbia, the unit began recruiting in the autumn of 1915 in that city. After sailing to England in June 1916, the batta ...

143rd Battalion (British Columbia Bantams), CEF

The 143rd Battalion, CEF was a unit in the Canadian Expeditionary Force during the First World War. Based in Victoria, British Columbia, the unit began recruiting in 1916 throughout Western Canada. Bantam units were organized to recruit men who w ...

Duchy of Bouillon

The Duchy of Bouillon was a duchy comprising Bouillon and adjacent towns and villages in present-day Belgium. It existed from the 10th century until 1795, when, after centuries as a sovereign state, it was annexed by France. It was ruled by the D ...

Klarenthal Abbey

Klarenthal Abbey is a former convent of the Order of Poor Ladies in the borough of Klarenthal in Wiesbaden, Germany. Klarenthal was the only abbey in present-day Wiesbaden.

Schonborn (state)

The County of Schonborn is a former principality of the Holy Roman Empire that held imperial immediacy and that was ruled by the House of Schonborn. The state of schönborn was located South of Bamberg, and to the South-East of Wurzburg. The schön ...

Storkow Castle

Storkow Castle is a medieval castle in the small town of Storkow in the district of Oder-Spree in the German state of Brandenburg.

Hevelli

The Hevelli or Hevellians, also known as Stodorans were a tribe of the Polabian Slavs, who settled around the middle Havel river in the present-day Havelland region of Brandenburg in eastern Germany from the 8th century onwards. West Slavic tribe ...

Lutici

The Lutici were a federation of West Slavic Polabian tribes, who between the 10th and 12th centuries lived in what is now northeastern Germany. Four tribes made up the core of the federation: the Redarians, Circipanians, Kessinians and Tollensian ...

Neptunes Fountain, Gdansk

Neptunes Fountain - is a historic fountain in Gdansk, which was constructed with the initiative of Mayor Bartholomaus Schachmann, and the local authorities. The fountain is located at the Long Market, in front of the entrance to the Artus Court. ...

History of Szczecin

Tacitus located the East Germanic tribe of the Rugians in the area around Szczecin, as did modern historians. The Rugians left during the Great Migrations in the 5th century AD.

Duchy of Zator

The Duchy of Zator was one of many Duchies of Silesia. He was separated from the Duchy of oświęcim, when after eleven years of joint rule the sons of Duke Casimir I in 1445 finally divided the lands among themselves, whereby his eldest son, king ...

History of Katowice

The todays city of Katowice in Poland started as a conglomerate of a number of small farming and industrial village communities from the 13th century. Katowice itself was first mentioned under its present name as a village in the 16th century Wit ...

Lesna

Lesna is a town in Luban County, Lower Silesian Voivodeship, in south-western Poland, close to the Czech border. It is the seat of the administrative district called Gmina Lesna. As at 2006, the town has a population of 4.752.

Luban

Luban is a town in the Lower Silesian Voivodeship in southwest Poland. It is the administrative seat of Luban County and also of the smaller Gmina Luban. Luban stop on the Polish sections of the way of Saint James pilgrimage route.

Namyslow

Namyslow is a town in Poland, in Opole Voivodeship. Located along the Widawa River, it is the capital of Namyslow County. Its population was 18.985 in 2007.

Olesnica

Olesnica is a town in Lower Silesian Voivodeship, in south-western Poland. It is the administrative seat of Olesnica County and also of the rural district of Gmina Olesnica, although it is not part of the territory of the latter, the town being a ...

Stalag VIII-A

Stalag VIII-A was a German World War II prisoner-of-war camp, located just to the south of the town of Gorlitz, Lower Silesia, east of the River Neisse.

Stalag VIII-C

Stalag VIII-C was a German World War II prisoner-of-war camp, near Sagan, Germany. It was adjacent to the famous Stalag Luft III, and was built at the beginning of World War II, occupying 48 ha.

Golensizi

The Golensizi were a tribe of West Slavs, specifically of the Lechitic tribes, living in the Early Middle Ages and inhabiting southern territories of what was later known as Upper Silesia, on the upper Oder River. The area was inhabited by the Sl ...

Dobrodzien

Dobrodzien is a small town in Olesno County, in Opole Voivodeship, Poland. Located in the Upper Silesia historical region, it is the administrative seat of Gmina Dobrodzien Both names in Polish and German mean "good day". Guttentag archaic varian ...

Frysztat County

Frysztat County was an administrative territorial entity of the Second Polish Republic. Named after its capital in the town of Frysztat, it was part of Silesian Voivodeship, and existed from October 1938 until German Invasion of Poland in Septemb ...

Jaworze, Silesian Voivodeship

Jaworze is a village and the seat of Gmina Jaworze in the south-west part Bielsko County, Silesian Voivodeship, southern Poland. It has a population of 6.195. It lies in the historical region of Cieszyn Silesia. The village was famous for its the ...

Knurow

Knurow is a town near Katowice in Silesia, southern Poland. Knurow borders on the Upper Silesian Metropolitan Union, a metropolis with a population of two million. Stations of Knurow is located in the Silesian highlands, on the river Bierawka, a ...

Lubliniec

Lubliniec pronounced is a town in southern Poland with 29.359 inhabitants. It is the capital of Lubliniec County, part of Silesian Voivodeship, previously it was in Czestochowa Voivodeship.

Silesian Treasury

The Silesian Treasury consisted of about 1 ton of gold in 1939. It was managed by the Silesian Parliament. The voivodeship produced about 46% Polish PKB, 90% of the local income remained in the autonomous region, while the remaining 10% used to b ...

History of Wroclaw

Wroclaw has long been the largest and culturally dominant city in Silesia, and is today the capital of Polands Lower Silesian Voivodeship. The history of wrocław starts at a crossroads in Lower Silesia. He was one of the centers of the Principali ...

History of New South Wales

The history of New South Wales refers to the history of the Australian state of New South Wales and the areas preceding Indigenous and British colonial societies. The Mungo Lake remains indicate occupation of parts of the New South Wales area by ...

2nd Military District (Australia)

The 2nd Military District was an administrative district of the Australian Army that covered most of New South Wales, with its headquarters in Sydney. The southern border with the 3rd Military District was the Murrumbidgee River rather than the M ...

Explorers tree

The Explorers Tree is a Blue Mountains Ash tree located at Explorers Hill, about 5 km west of Katoomba, New South Wales, Australia. It is well known, as a tree on which Gregory Blaxland, William Lawson, William Charles Wentworth, the explorers wh ...

Mary Gilmore and the history of Wagga Wagga

The poet and writer Mary Gilmore grew up in the Wagga district of New South Wales in the 1860s and 1870s, a period of profound social and ecological change in southern New South Wales. During these decades, closer settlement legislation and the a ...

Murrumbidgee District

The Murrumbidgee District was a district used in New South Wales in the nineteenth century to refer to the land between the Murrumbidgee River and Murray River, that is now mostly known as the Riverina region. Some maps show the district included ...

Muster (census)

In the colony of New South Wales, Australia, a muster was an extension of a Military Muster to the general populace. A general muster was held when deemed necessary to count the convicts and general population. Many people were not included. Must ...

Nineteen Counties

The Nineteen Counties were the limits of location in the colony of New South Wales, Australia. Settlers were permitted to take up land only within the counties due to the dangers in the wilderness. They were identified by the Governor of New Sout ...

Roman Catholic Orphan School

The Roman Catholic Orphan School was a Government Orphanage built on land adjacent to the third class penitentiary of the Parramatta female factory at Parramatta, NSW Australia, in 1841. Built from locally quarried ashlar Sandstone in the style o ...

History of the Northern Territory

The history of the Northern Territory began over 60.000 years ago when Indigenous Australians settled the region. Makassan traders began trading with the indigenous people of the Northern Territory for trepang from at least the 18th century onwar ...

Grove Hill, Northern Territory

Grove Hill, in the Northern Territory of Australia, was once a centre for mining operations. Today, only a hotel with a few outbuildings survive. Since 2007, it has been located in the localities of Burrundie and Douglas-Daly The Adelaide–Darwin ...

Vesteys Meatworks

Vesteys Meatworks, officially the North Australia Meat Company, was a slaughterhouse in Darwin, Northern Territory, Australia, built by Vestey Brothers between 1914 and 1917. Never profitable, it operated for three years before the company abando ...

1st Military District (Australia)

The 1st Military District was an administrative district of the Australian Army. During the Second World War, the 1st Military District covered all of Queensland, with its headquarters at Brisbane. In March 1939, was adopted by the regional comma ...

Cape Bedford Mission

The Cape Bedford Mission was the first Christian mission on the Cape York Peninsula of Queensland, Australia. It is the oldest surviving mission in northern Queensland. Founded by Lutheran staff from the area of the Cooper Creek in South Australi ...

Collingwood, Queensland

Collingwood is a former town in the Channel Country in Central West Queensland, Australia, in the Shire of Winton. Collingwood was founded in the 1870s, and it was hoped that the town would thrive and grow into a regional centre that would foster ...

Cooktown, Queensland

Cooktown is a coastal town and locality in the Shire of Cook, Queensland, Australia. Cooktown is at the mouth of the Endeavour River, on Cape York Peninsula in Far North Queensland where James Cook beached his ship, the Endeavour, for repairs in ...

Ferry transport in Queensland

Ferry transport in Queensland provides both historical and current information relating to scheduled public passenger ferry services in Queensland. The first ferry started on 1 January 1843 at Russell Street with a service across the Brisbane Riv ...