ⓘ Free online encyclopedia. Did you know? page 696

Gerent, Saint

Gerrans is a coastal civil parish and village on the Roseland Peninsula in Cornwall, England, United Kingdom. The village adjoins Portscatho on the east side of the peninsula. The village is situated approximately seven miles south-southeast of T ...

California Pacific International Exposition

The California Pacific International Exposition was an exposition held in San Diego, California during May 29, 1935–November 11, 1935 and February 12, 1936–September 9, 1936. The exposition was held in Balboa Park, San Diegos large central urban ...

Panama–Pacific International Exposition

The Panama–Pacific International Exposition was a worlds fair held in San Francisco, California, U.S., from February 20 to December 4, 1915. Its stated purpose was to celebrate the completion of the Panama Canal, but it was widely seen in the cit ...

Battle of Cape Burnas

The Battle of Cape Burnas was a naval engagement between the Soviet and Romanian navies near the Burnas Lagoon in October 1942. On 1 October 1942, the Soviet M class Submarine M-118 attacked and sank the German transport ship "Salzburg", which wa ...

Irish Squadron (Royal Navy)

The Irish Squadron originally known as the Irish Fleet was a series of temporary naval formations assembled for specific military campaigns of the English Navy, the Navy Royal and later the Royal Navy from 1297 to 1731.

Kinsale Dockyard

By the early 17th century, Kinsale Harbour was already a place of great resort for his Majestys ships of war During the Battle of Kinsale, ships were often careened on the isthmus of the Castlepark peninsula, where in an area still known as The D ...

Okant Skepp

Okant Skepp, Swedish for "unknown ship", is an intact Renaissance shipwreck in the Baltic Sea dating to the turn of the 15th century. The wrecks hull was found pristine and containing several rare features. Its discovery was announced in July 201 ...

Çimpe Castle

Çimpe Castle was a medieval fortification on the Gallipoli peninsula in modern Turkey. Its site is located along the Istanbul Caddesi between Bolayir and Gallipoli, commanding the narrowest point on the peninsula. Erected by the Byzantines as Tzy ...

Maldives at the 2015 Indian Ocean Island Games

The Gujarat Cooperative Milk Marketing Federation, that manages dairy cooperative Amul, announced its memorandum of understanding MoU with the Indian Olympic Association on 11 July 2014. This MoU has made Amul the official sponsor of the Indian c ...

Pont Vell, Santa Eulària des Riu

Pont Vell is the ancient bridge which crosses the Riu de Santa Eulària, the only river on the Spanish island of Ibiza. The bridge stands next to the modern road bridge on the western approach to the town of Santa Eulària des Riu. Today the bridge ...

Cala Morell Settlement

The settlement of Cala Morell is a Menorcan pretalayotic archaeological site which is located in Ciutadella de Menorca. It is situated on a 35-meter-high coastal headland which closes the northeast side of Cala Morells bay. This promontory is pro ...

St. Michaels and All Angels Church, Sandakan

St. Michaels and All Angels Church for short St. Michael is an Anglican church in the Malaysian city of Sandakan in the state of Sabah in northern Borneo. St. Michael is the oldest stone church in Sabah. The impetus for the construction of the ch ...

Ajaccio Cathedral

Ajaccio Cathedral, officially the Cathedral of Our Lady of the Assumption of Ajaccio and also known as the Cathedral of the Assumption of Saint Mary, is a Roman Catholic church located in Ajaccio, Corsica. The cathedral is the ecclesiastical seat ...

Cervione Cathedral

Cervione Cathedral is a former Roman Catholic cathedral in Cervione on the island of Corsica, and a national monument of France. It was the seat of the Bishop of Aleria until 1801, when all Corsican sees were merged into the Bishopric of Ajaccio.

Church of Saint Anthony Abbot

The Church of Saint Anthony Abbot is a Roman Catholic parish church in Aregno, Corsica. The church is about 827 feet above sea level. Some of its inventory was declared a monument historique on February 9, 1995. It is a Baroque-style building and ...

Church of the Trinity and San Giovanni

The Church of the Trinity and San Giovanni is a Roman Catholic church in Aregno, Corsica. It is a Romanesque and Pisan-style building and is about 130 feet higher than the rest of the commune. The church is dedicated to the Holy Trinity and to Jo ...

Eglise Saint-Andre de Loreto-di-Casinca

Eglise Saint-Andre de Loreto-di-Casinca is a Catholic baroque church in Loreto-di-Casinca, Haute-Corse, Corsica. The building was classified as a Historic Monument in 1976.

Eglise Saint-Cesaire de Rapale

Eglise Saint-Cesaire de Rapale is a Roman Catholic church in Rapale, Haute-Corse, Corsica. The building was classified as a Historic Monument in 1840.

Eglise Saint-François-Xavier de Monticello

Eglise Saint-François-Xavier de Monticello is a church in Monticello, Haute-Corse, Corsica. The building was classified as a Historic Monument in 1992.

Eglise Saint-Jean-Baptiste de La Porta

Eglise Saint-Jean-Baptiste de La Porta is a Roman Catholic church in La Porta, Haute-Corse, Corsica. The 18th century building was classified as a Historic Monument in 1975.

Eglise Sainte-Christine de Valle-di-Campoloro

Eglise Sainte-Christine de Valle-di-Campoloro is a church in Valle-di-Campoloro, Haute-Corse, Corsica, located to the northeast of Cervione. The building was classified as a Historic Monument in 1840.

Eglise Sainte-Croix de Bastia

Eglise Sainte-Croix de Bastia is a Catholic church in Bastia, Haute-Corse, Corsica. The building was classified as a Historic Monument in 1931. The church is located in the citadel of Bastia, in the historic center of the city, next to the Church ...

Eglise Sainte-Marguerite de Carcheto-Brustico

Eglise Sainte-Marguerite de Carcheto-Brustico is a Roman Catholic church in Carcheto-Brustico, Haute-Corse, Corsica. The 17th-18th century building was classified as a Historic Monument in 1976.

Eglise Sainte-Marie de Valle-dOrezza

Eglise Sainte-Marie de Valle-dOrezza is a church in Valle-dOrezza, Haute-Corse, Corsica. Its interior decoration was classified as a Historic Monument in 1976.

Lucciana Cathedral

Lucciana Cathedral, officially the Cathedral of Saint Mary of the Assumption of Lucciana, is a Roman Catholic church located in the town of Lucciana, Corsica. The former cathedral is a national monument.

List of senators of Corsica

Following is a List of senators of Corsica, people who have represented the department of Corsica in the Senate of France. The department was divided into Corse-du-Sud and Haute-Corse in 1975.

Moises Tuu Hereveri

Moises Jacob Tuu Hereveri was elected ariki of Rapa Nui from 1901 until 1902. He was the last Rapa Nui to claim the traditional kingship in the early 20th-century. However, he is generally not remembered as the last king instead his predecessor R ...

Enrique Ika

Enrique Ika a Tuu Hati was elected ariki of Rapa Nui in 1900 and led a failed rebellion. He was one of the last Rapa Nui to claim the traditional kingship in the early 20th-century. However, he is generally not remembered as the last king instead ...

Ancient Hawaiian population

The exact population of the Hawaiian Islands at the time of Captain James Cooks arrival is not known. What is known is that the first voyaging canoes that landed on Hawaiian shores during the discovery and settlement of Hawaii cannot have carried ...

Captain Vancouver Landing Site on Maui

When the south shore of Maui was first visited by Captain George Vancouver it was dotted with small fishing villages and was said to be a retreat for Hawaiian royalty. Captain Vancouver was not the first European visitor to Maui, however, a landi ...

Hofgaard Park, Waimea, Kauai

Captain James Cook was the first European reported to have sighted the Hawaiian Islands, and the January 20 landfall on southwestern Kauai was his first arrival upon Hawaiian soil. On January 20, 1778 two ships under the command of British naviga ...

History of Maui

This article summarizes the history of the island of Maui. Its relatively central location gave it a pivotal role in the history of the Hawaiian Islands.

Kipapa Airfield

A careful survey was made of the entire Island of Oahu in 1940 for sites on which landing fields could be constructed. With the exception of the Kīpapa Gulch area, all level ground that might be available for airfields was either so occupied, pro ...

Kualoa Airfield

Kualoa Airfield was constructed in 1942 and used during World War II on 1000 acres of Kualoa Ranch land. It was a satellite field for units assigned to Bellows Field and was used mainly for training. The ramp was made of perforated high-strength ...

Stanley Field

Stanley Army Airfield is a former World War II airfield located on Oahu, Hawaii. It was a temporary airfield, used for fighter planes as part of the islands defense. Today it is the golf course of Schofield Barracks.

Carrick Castle

Carrick Castle is a 14th-century tower house on the west shore of Loch Goil on the Cowal peninsula in Argyll and Bute, Scotland. It is located between Cuilmuich and Carrick, 4 miles south of Lochgoilhead. The castle stands on a rocky Peninsula, a ...

Claig Castle

The castle was once a massive fort described as a sea fortress, which allowed the Macdonald Lord of the Isles to dominate and control the sea traffic north and south through the Hebrides for more than four centuries. The castle remained a strongh ...

Craignish Castle

Craignish Castle is located on the Craignish peninsula in Argyll, western Scotland. The present castle includes a 16th-century tower, the seat of the Campbell family of Craignish and Jura. In the 19th century it was sold to the Trench-Gascoigne f ...

Glengorm Castle

Glengorm Castle, also known as Castle Sorn, is a 19th-century country house on the Isle of Mull, Scotland. Located 6 kilometres northwest of Tobermory, the house is protected as a Category B listed building. On the website mishnish estate was pur ...

Kilmartin Castle

Kilmartin Castle is a 16th-century Z-plan tower house castle at Kilmartin, Scotland. Built by the Rector of Kilmartin and later owned by Clan Campbell. It was restored and refurbished as a bed and breakfast in the 1990s.

Kilmory Castle

Kilmory Castle, also known as Kilmory House, is a large 19th-century house located just to the south of Lochgilphead, in Argyll, Argyll and Bute, on the west coast of Scotland. It is currently occupied by the headquarters of Argyll and Bute Counc ...

Minard Castle

Minard Castle is a 19th-century castellated mansion on the north-western shore of Loch Fyne Argyll and Bute, on the west coast of Scotland, in the parish of Kilmichael Glassary. The castle is located a little South of the village of Minard. The c ...

Ranald Bane MacDonald, 1st of Largie

Ranald Bane MacDonald was the second son of John Mor Tanister and a daughter of Finnon or by his wife Margery Byset. He is the founder of Clan MacDonald of Largie. He was given a charter for lands in Kintyre around Largie, for his services at the ...

Carisbrooke Priory

Carisbrooke Priory was an alien priory, a dependency of Lyre Abbey in Normandy. The priory was situated on rising ground on the outskirts of Carisbrooke close to Newport on the Isle of Wight.

Kalinyamat Sultanate

Kalinyamat Sultanate, Kalinyamat Kingdom or Jepara Kingdom, was a 16th-century Javanese Islamic polity in the northern part of the island of Java, centred in modern-day Jepara, Central Java, Indonesia. Both Jepara Kalinyamat and was first establi ...

Mergosono massacre

The Mergosono massacre was committed by Indonesian revolutionaries against members of the Chinese community of Mergosono in Malang, East Java on 31 July 1947 during the Indonesian National Revolution. Suspected of espionage for the Dutch colonial ...

Fort Desaix

Fort Desaix is a Vauban fort and one of four forts that protect Fort-de-France, the capital of Martinique. The fort was built from 1768 to 1772 and sits on a hill, Morne Garnier, overlooking what was then Fort Royal. Fort Desaix was built in resp ...

Lord Lieutenant of Orkney

This is a list of people who have served as Lord-Lieutenant of Orkney. Patrick Neale Sutherland Graeme 8 April 1948 – 26 September 1958. Brig Malcolm Dennison 26 April 1990 – 30 August 1996. George Marwick 28 April 1997 – 2007. Anthony Trickett 1 ...

Carinish

Carinish, is a hamlet on North Uist, in the Outer Hebrides, Scotland. It is in the south of the island, about 2 miles from the causeway to Benbecula. The hamlet is known for the Carinish Stone Circle and the Trinity Temple. Carinish is within the ...

Ardvourlie Castle

Ardvourlie Castle is a 19th-century country house on Harris, one of the Western Isles off the north-west coast of Scotland. The house was built beside Loch Seaforth in 1863 as a hunting lodge on the North Harris Estate, for Charles Murray, 7th Ea ...