ⓘ Free online encyclopedia. Did you know? page 641

RAF Haverfordwest

Royal Air Force Haverfordwest or more simply RAF Haverfordwest is a former Royal Air Force station located 2.1 miles north of Haverfordwest, Pembrokeshire and 11 miles south of Fishguard, Pembrokeshire, Wales. His work between 1943 and 1945 and w ...

RAF Hednesford

Royal Air Force Hednesford or more simply RAF Hednesford is a former Royal Air Force station situated 7.5 miles south-east of Stafford, Staffordshire, England.

RAF Hells Mouth

RAF Hells Mouth is a former Royal Air Force Emergency Landing Ground at Hells Mouth, on the Llŷn Peninsula near Abersoch, Gwynedd, Wales.

RAF Holyhead

Royal Air Force Holyhead or more simply RAF Holyhead is a former Royal Air Force station situated at Holyhead, Anglesey, Wales. It was the most westerly RAF base in Great Britain. The former headquarters building was Porth-y-felin House, a Grade ...

RAF Home Command

RAF Home Command was the Royal Air Force command that was responsible for the maintenance and training of reserve organisations from formation on 1 February 1939 as RAF Reserve Command with interruptions until it ceased to exist on 1 April 1959.

Inspector-General of the RAF

The Inspector-General of the RAF was a senior appointment in the Royal Air Force, responsible for the inspection of airfields. The post existed from 1918 to 1920 and from 1935 until the late 1960s. For much of World War II, a second inspector-gen ...

Joint Force Air Component Headquarters

The Joint Force Air Component Headquarters is the United Kingdoms deployable air command and control unit. The JFACHQ is run by the Royal Air Force with representation from the other services. In JFACHQ has members of the operations and operation ...

RAF Madley

Royal Air Force Madley, or more simply RAF Madley, was a RAF station situated 6.2 miles south west of Hereford in Herefordshire, England. The station was in use during the Second World War as a training base and was located between the villages o ...

No. 93 Squadron RAF

No. 93 Squadron RAF was an aircraft squadron of the Royal Air Force during World War II. It was initially formed during World War I on 1 September 1917 but it did not become operational and was disbanded one year later in August 1918. The unit wa ...

No. 109 Squadron RAF

The squadron first formed on 1 November 1917 as 109 Squadron Royal Flying Corps at South Carlton and began training on the de Havilland DH.9 bomber but was disbanded on 19 August 1918 without becoming operational. Reformed on 10 Dec 1940, block o ...

No. 116 Squadron RAF

No. 116 Squadron RAF was a Royal Air Force squadron first formed as part of the Royal Flying Corps during the First World War. Reformed as part of the RAF during the Second World War it served as an anti-aircraft calibration unit and also operate ...

No. 139 Wing RAF

No. 139 Wing RAF was a formation of the Royal Air Force during the Second World War. It comprised No. 320 Squadron RAF, No. 98 Squadron RAF, No. 271 Squadron RAF and No. 416 Squadron RAF.

No. 186 Squadron RAF

No. 186 Squadron of the Royal Air Force was formed on 1 April 1918 at East Retford, providing night pilot training for home defence and on the Western front. On 31 December 1918 it was reformed as an operational shipboard unit aboard HMS Argus. I ...

No. 256 Squadron RAF

No. 256 Squadron RAF was an aircraft squadron of the Royal Air Force during World War II. It operated Defiant Mk IIs out of RAF Squires Gate in the night defence of Liverpool. In 1950-ies it was equipped with Armstrong-Whitworth meteor NF11 night ...

No. 361 Squadron RAF

It was formed on 2 January 1967 at RAF Watton as a joint RAF/Royal Navy unit, to provide ECM training for the two services, initially sharing the Canberra T.17 aircraft of No. 360 Squadron RAF. Unlike its sister squadron, it was intended to opera ...

No. 629 Squadron RAF

No. 629 Squadron RAuxAF, a non-flying squadron of the Royal Auxiliary Air Force was formed in 1999 for "Helicopter Support". For the period April to September 1939, "room Chiltern squadron 629" auxiliary aircraft was allocated the squadron code L ...

No. 4626 Squadron RAuxAF

No. 4626 Aeromedical Evacuation Squadron is a unit of the British Royal Auxiliary Air Force, which manages, maintains and trains its personnel for operational readiness in support of RAF requirements for Aeromedical Evacuation and Pre_Hospital Em ...

RAF Perranporth

The 330 acre 134 hectares airfield was built as an RAF Supermarine Spitfire station in World War II in 1941 and is situated on Cligga cliffs in the north of Cornwall. No. 132 Squadron RAF. No. 66 Squadron RAF. No. 286 Squadron RAF. No. 65 Squadro ...

RAF Poulton

RAF Poulton is a former Royal Air Force station located near Poulton, Cheshire and was operational from 1 March 1943 until 1945. It was used as an Operational Training Unit and Tactical Exercise Unit for Hawker Hurricanes.

RAF Prestatyn

RAF Prestatyn is a former Royal Air Force radar post situated near Prestatyn, in Denbighshire, north-east Wales. The remains of some of the buildings are current. The rotor station is visible as a square building from most of Prestatyn, as it is ...

RAF Rhine

RAF Rhine was the name of the Royal Flying Corps command that comprised units posted to Germany in 1918 as part of the occupying forces following World War I. The RAF presence in Germany was wound down to a single squadron and RAF Rhine was disba ...

RAF Rhoose

It opened on 7 April 1942 as an RAF training base for Supermarine Spitfire pilots. No. 53 operational training unit Llandow was the parent station, and Rhoose was a satellite landing ground. Other units included: No. 65 Gliding School RAF. No. 7 ...

Shadow squadron

Shadow squadrons are additional squadron numbers allocated to RAF training, Operational conversion, and Operational and Weapons evaluation units. Normally in peacetime these units are not tasked with combat roles, however UK planning for a major ...

Station warrant officer

The station warrant officer is the senior warrant officer on a British Royal Air Force station. The SWO is responsible for discipline and is therefore comparable to the regimental sergeant major in a British Army unit. They are the station comman ...

RAF Stormy Down

It was an armament training school for the Royal Air Force RAF then after they departed the French took the station over and later American forces were also stationed at Stormy. Flying ceased in August 1944 due to the dangerous grass landing stri ...

RAF Towyn

Royal Air Force Towyn or more simply RAF Towyn is a former Royal Air Force airfield located 10.3 miles west of Machynlleth, Powys and 12.2 miles north of Aberystwyth, Ceredigion, Wales. It is operational from 1940 and closed in 1945.

RAF Westley

RAF Westley was an airfield that existed to the west of Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk, England, between 1938 and 1946. The airfield was established as a home for the West Suffolk Aero Club in 1938, before being taken over by the RAF Volunteer Reserve.

RAF Wilmslow

The station was used for training new recruits. The recruits would learn about living RAF procedures and other information for a period of weeks then would be transferred to their operational station.

RAF Windrush

RAF Windrush was a Royal Air Force station near Windrush, Gloucestershire. It was opened in 1940 and closed on 12 July 1945. Initially it was a Relief Landing Ground for RAF Chipping Norton, later coming under the control of RAF Little Rissington.

1st Aircraft Carrier Squadron (Royal Navy)

The 1st Aircraft Carrier Squadron was a formation of Royal Navy aircraft carriers assigned to the British Pacific Fleet in November 1943. They were Formidable, Indomitable, Victorious, Illustrious and Indefatigable. It was disbanded in 1947.

3rd Cruiser Squadron

The squadron was first formed in June 1902 and disbanded in March 1909 The squadron reformed in December 1922 during the interwar years. It was in operation during the Second World War and was disbanded in March 1941.

4th Cruiser Squadron

The 4th Cruiser Squadron and was a formation of cruisers of the British Royal Navy from 1907 to 1914 and then again from 1919 to 1946. The squadron was founded in 1907 and in 1913 he was appointed British first fleet. During the First world war, ...

5th Cruiser Squadron

The 5th Cruiser Squadron and also known as Cruiser Force D was a formation of cruisers of the British Royal Navy from 1907 to 1915 and then again from 1939 to 1946.

813 Naval Air Squadron

813 Naval Air Squadron was an aircraft squadron of the Royal Navys Fleet Air Arm during World War II and again post-war. It initially operated Swordfish Mk Is from the aircraft carrier Illustrious and took part in the successful raid on Taranto i ...

819 Naval Air Squadron

Along with No. 815 Squadron, it performed the successful night attack on the Italian fleet at Taranto on 11 November 1940. The attack was performed with Swordfish torpedo bombers from the aircraft carrier Illustrious. Recently, 819 HAS6 operated ...

827 Naval Air Squadron

827 Naval Air Squadron was an aircraft squadron of the Royal Navys Fleet Air Arm during the Second World War. She worked Fairey Barracuda, starting in may 1943, becoming the first squadron to receive Barracudas in any substantial number. Postwar ...

Aberdeen Station (Royal Navy)

The station was commanded by the Senior Naval Officer, Aberdeen from 1915 to 1919 and then the Flag Officer-in-Charge, Aberdeen from 1942 to 1945 before being abolished. The shore establishment was known as HMS Bacchante during the Second world war.

Assistant Chief of the Naval Staff (Operations)

The Assistant Chief of the Naval Staff was a senior British Royal Navy appointment. The post holder was part of the Admiralty Naval Staff and member of the Board of Admiralty from 1945 to 1946 and again from 1966 to 1968,

Avon-class destroyer

Avon -class destroyer was a class of three destroyers that served in the Royal Navy. These three funnelled 30 knot vessels were redesignated C-class destroyers in the reorganisation of 1913. Three ships, Avon, bittern and otter, was built by Vick ...

Basra Station

The Basra station was a naval station of the British Royal Navy during World War One and World War Two. It was administered by the Naval Officer in Charge, Basra

Black Swan-class sloop (2012)

The Black Swan class were a conceptual classes of sloop of the Royal Navy. Produced by the UK Ministry of Defence in 2012. The concept gets its name from the Second World War Black Swan-class sloop.

Flag Officer Commanding, Iceland (C)

The Flag Officer Commanding, Iceland was an appointment of the British Royal Navy during the Second World War. His headquarters were at the stone frigate HMS Baldur, based at Hvitanes, in Hvalfjordur fjord, on the west coast of Iceland. It was in ...

HMS Forward (shore establishment 1939)

HMS Forward was a shore establishment of the British Royal Navy during World War II. It was based at South Heighton, just outside Newhaven, East Sussex.

HMS Hibernia (shore establishment)

HMS Hibernia is the name given to a shore establishment of the Royal Navy, which serves as the headquarters of the Royal Naval Reserve in Northern Ireland. Commissioned in 2009 to replace the C-class cruiser HMS Caroline as the training establish ...

Iceland (C) station

The Iceland station was naval station of British Royal Navy established in 1941 and deactivated in 1945. It was initially commanded by the Admiral Commanding, Iceland, who was later renamed the Flag Officer Commanding, Iceland.

Master of the fleet

Examples include John Bowen master of the fleet during the Glorious First of June 1794, Ian Hogg, and John H. D. Cunningham. By 1814, the title granted the master extra pay. By 1832, the masters of the fleet were given the equivalent rank and uni ...

HMS Newt (shore establishment)

It was commissioned on 15 October 1942 as a base for Combined Operations Landing Craft, and consisted of Hards at Seaford and Sleepers Hole Newhaven Marina, with accommodation on nearby Fort Road. From March 1945 it was used by Naval Parties assi ...

Oerlikon 30 mm twin cannon

The Oerlikon 30 mm twin cannon is an anti aircraft gun used by the Royal Navy. They were fitted to Type 42 destroyers after the Falklands War to improve defence against air attack.

HMS Standard (shore establishment)

HMS Standard was a British Royal Navy shore establishment between 1942 and 1945. Situated well away from the sea near Kielder in Northumberland, the base was an assessment and rehabilitation centre for naval personnel diagnosed with personality d ...

Star-class destroyer

The Star -class destroyer was a class of eight destroyers that served in the Royal Navy: Bat, Crane, Chamois, Fawn, Flirt, Flying Fish, Star and Whiting, were all three-funnelled C-class destroyers, as designated in the reorganisation of classes ...