ⓘ Free online encyclopedia. Did you know? page 636

Alaska Air National Guard

The Alaska Air National Guard is the aerial militia of the State of Alaska, United States of America. It is, along with the Alaska Army National Guard, an element of the Alaska National Guard. As a condition of military units in the air National ...

Alaska Army National Guard

The Alaska Army National Guard is a component of the United States Army and the Alaska Department of Military and Veterans Affairs. Along with the Alaska Air National Guard, it makes up the Alaska National Guard. Alaska Army National Guard units ...

Department of the Columbia

On July 27, 1865 the Military Division of the Pacific was created under Major General Henry W. Halleck, replacing the Department of the Pacific, consisting of the Department of the Columbia replacing the District of Oregon that now consisted of t ...

Canadian Forces Northern Area Headquarters Yellowknife

Canadian Forces Northern Area Headquarters Yellowknife is a Canadian Forces unit located in the city of Yellowknife, Northwest Territories. Located in a building Evans city of Yellowknife, it is the headquarters for joint task force North, part o ...

JGSDF Camp Jinmachi

JGSDF Camp Jinmachi is a military base of the Japan Ground Self-Defense Force, located in Higashine, Yamagata prefecture, Japan.

JGSDF Camp Toyokawa

JGSDF Camp Toyokawa is a military base of the Japan Ground Self-Defense Force, located in Toyokawa, Aichi prefecture, Japan. It is one of several military facilities located in the foothills of eastern Aichi Prefecture.

Albemarle Barracks, England

Albemarle Barracks is a British Army barracks located 1.7 miles south of Stamfordham, Northumberland and 10.5 miles west of Newcastle-upon-Tyne, Tyne and Wear.

Abercorn Barracks

Abercorn Barracks, sometimes referred to as Ballykinlar Barracks or Ballykinler Barracks, is a former military base in Ballykinler in County Down, Northern Ireland.

Alanbrooke Barracks

The barracks were established, on the site of the former RAF Topcliffe airbase, in 1974, as an ordnance field park. The barracks were named Alanbrooke Barracks after Field Marshal Viscount Alanbrooke, a former Royal Artillery officer, when 1st Re ...

Albany Barracks

Construction of the barracks, which were originally named Parkhurst Barracks after the forest where they were located, was completed in September 1798. Shortly after completion they were renamed "Albany Barracks" after Prince Frederick, Duke of Y ...

Aldershot Garrison

Aldershot Garrison, also known as Aldershot Military Town, is a major garrison in South East England, located between Aldershot and Farnborough in Hampshire. Established in 1854, Aldershot is the home of the British Army although smaller than in ...

Baker Barracks

The barracks were established, on the site of the former RAF Thorney Island airbase, in 1986, when 26th Regiment Royal Artillery moved on site. Named after Field Marshal Sir Geoffrey Baker, a former Royal Artillery officer, they have been home to ...

The Barracks, Brecon

The original barracks, which were constructed of red brick, were built at the Watton in 1805 and then extended in 1813. In 1873, the reform of Cardwell which suggested the localization of the British military forces in the barracks became the dep ...

Bassingbourn Barracks

Bassingbourn Barracks is a Ministry of Defence installation located 3.2 miles north of Royston, Hertfordshire and 10.6 miles southwest of Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, England.

Battlesbury Barracks

Battlesbury Barracks is a military installation in Warminster, Wiltshire. It is the permanent base of The 1st Battalion, Yorkshire Regiment, serving as armoured infantry. The battalion is currently commanded by Lieutenant Colonel T J Miller.

Beachley Barracks

Beachley Barracks is a British Army base in Beachley in England, close to Chepstow, Wales. The Barracks is located at Beachley Point between the River Severn and the River Wye.

Beacon Barracks

Beacon Barracks was renamed from RAF Stafford in 2006 after the Royal Air Force moved out. In 2013 the British Government announced that the redevelopment of the barracks to allow 16 Signal Regiment and 1 Armoured Division Signal Regiment to move ...

Bergen-Hohne Garrison

Bergen-Hohne Garrison was a major British garrison in the post-Cold War period, with facilities located close to Bergen at Lager Hohne, at Lager Oerbke near Fallingbostel and at Celle in Lower Saxony, Germany. It was home to 7th Armoured Brigade ...

Berwick Barracks

The barracks were built between 1717 and 1721 by Nicholas Hawksmoor for the Board of Ordnance to protect the town during the Jacobite risings. The work, which involved two parallel blocks of military accommodation, was supervised by Captain Thoma ...

Bowerham Barracks

The barracks were built in the Fortress Gothic Revival Style between 1876 and 1880 on the former Bowerham Estate as the depot for the two battalions of the 4th Kings Own Regiment of Foot. Their creation took place as part of the Cardwell Reforms ...

Bradford Moor Barracks

The barracks were built between 1843 and 1844 as part of the response to the Chartist riots. In 1873 a system of recruiting areas based on counties was instituted and the barracks became the depot for the 14th Regiment of Foot. In 1878 the 14th R ...

Britannia Barracks

The barracks were built in the architectural style of Norman Shaw on Mousehold Heath as the depot for the Royal Norfolk Regiment between 1885 and 1887. The name of the barracks was taken from the badge of the Regiment. The barracks served as an I ...

Buckley Barracks

Buckley Barracks is a British Army barracks in Wiltshire, England, about 4 1 ⁄ 2 miles north of Chippenham and 15 miles west of Swindon.

Budbrooke Barracks

The barracks were established as the depot in 1877. Their creation took place as part of the Cardwell Reforms which encouraged the localisation of British military forces. The barracks became the depot for the two battalions of the 6th 1st Warwic ...

Burniston Barracks

The barracks were built as a training base for the Royal Artillery and were completed in 1861. The barracks were reallocated for wider military use in 1906 and during the First World War they served as the 3rd cavalry depot providing accommodatio ...

Cambridge Barracks, Portsmouth

The barracks were created by converting some late-18th century warehouses into military accommodation in 1825. The site had previously been a large timber-yard and carpenters workshops, it was purchased by the government during the Napoleonic War ...

Carlton Barracks

The barracks were opened as a base for the 4th Battalion of the West Yorkshire Militia in 1865. In 1887 the barracks were bought, with corps funds, to accommodate the 3rd Battalion the Prince of Wales West Yorkshire Regiment The Rifles. In 1908, ...

Carver Barracks

Carver Barracks is a British Army base on the former site of RAF Debden, approximately 1 mile north of the village of Debden, in Essex. The nearest town is Saffron Walden.

Castle Park Barracks

The barracks have their origins in a hotel known as the New Inn which provided accommodation for officers from 1797. Private soldiers, who were not allowed to use the New Inn, had to use tented accommodation at Belhaven Sands and West Barns Links ...

Castlehill Barracks

The barracks, which were built on the site of a 12th-century castle, were completed in response to a perceived threat from France between 1764 and 1796. In 1873 a system of recruiting areas based on counties was instituted under the Cardwell Refo ...

Catterick Garrison

Catterick Garrison is a major garrison and military town three miles south of Richmond, North Yorkshire, England. It is the largest British Army garrison in the world, with a population of around 13.000 in 2017 and covering over 2.400 acres. Unde ...

Cavalry Barracks, Hounslow

Cavalry Barracks is a British Army installation located north of Hounslow Heath in Hounslow, west London. Hounslow was one of 40 new barracks established around the country in the wake of the French Revolution, to guard against the dual threats o ...

Cawdor Barracks

Cawdor Barracks is a British Army installation located 6.3 miles east of St Davids, Pembrokeshire and 9.8 miles south west of Fishguard, Pembrokeshire, Wales. It was an operational airfield between 1944 and 1992, both the Royal air force when he ...

Chapeltown Barracks

The barracks were constructed by Craven and Co. in 1820. They were largely used by cavalry regiments until the 1880s by which time they were in a poor state of repair. It was from about that time that the cavalry school was used by elements of th ...

Chattenden and Lodge Hill Military Camps

Chattenden and Lodge Hill Military Camps were British Army training camps in Chattenden and Hoo St Werburgh in Kent. They were built as ordnance depots and functioned as such through to the second half of the twentieth century.

Chelsea Barracks

Chelsea Barracks was a British Army barracks located in the City of Westminster, London, adjacent to Chelsea and Belgravia, on Chelsea Bridge Road. Today, Chelsea Barracks is owned by Project Blue Ltd and is the flagship London development of Qat ...

Chetwynd Barracks

The Chilwell depot and barracks were built for the Royal Army Ordnance Corps shortly after the First World War on the former site of the National Shell Filling Factory, Chilwell which had been completely devastated by an exposion in July 1918. Th ...

Churchill Barracks

The barracks were built on the south side of Ayr Harbour as part of the British response to the threat of the French Revolution in 1795. In 1873 a system of recruiting areas based on counties was instituted under the Cardwell Reforms and the barr ...

Clarence Barracks

The original site for what became Clarence Barracks was the early 17th-century Kings Cooperage in Old Portsmouth, owned and operated by the Victualling Commissioners. Rebuilt in 1723, it consisted of a long narrow courtyard surrounded by workshop ...

Claro Barracks

The barracks, which were originally established as the command depot i.e. convalescent camp for Northern Command, opened in April 1915 during the First World War. Wilfred Owen wrote many of his poems when based at the barracks, known at the time ...

Clive Barracks

The barracks were established, on the site of the former RAF Ternhill airfield, in 1976: they were initially named Borneo Barracks before being renamed Clive Barracks after Major-General Lord Clive who had been born in Shropshire. Some of the ear ...

Colewort Barracks

The facility were originally built as a garrison hospital in 1680 and converted into a barracks in 1694. The barracks were named after a type of wild cabbage which was prevalent in the local area. The barracks were home to the Army Service Corps, ...

Combined Operations Training Centre

The Combined Operations Training Centre, also known as No.1 Combined Training Centre, Inveraray was a military installation on the banks of Loch Fyne near Inveraray in Scotland.

Connaught Barracks, Dover

The barracks, which were built about half a mile south of Fort Burgoyne, were completed in July 1913. During the First World War the barracks were used for the assembly of large quantities of men and supplies ready for shipment across the channel ...

Copthorne Barracks

The barracks were built between 1877 and 1881 and initially included a hospital, married quarters, stabling and stores. Their creation took place as part of the Cardwell Reforms which encouraged the localisation of British military forces. The ba ...

Cowley Barracks

The barracks were built in a Fortress Gothic Revival style at Bullingdon Green using Charlbury stone and completed in spring 1876. Their creation took place as part of the Cardwell Reforms which encouraged the localisation of British military for ...

Dale Barracks

The barracks are situated in the grounds of Moston Hall, a house built in 1789 for Richard Massey. The house was acquired by the Swetenham family who sold it to the Lockett family in 1918. During the First World War, the house was used as a milit ...

Dalton Barracks

The barracks were established, on the site of the former RAF Abingdon airbase, in 1992: they were named after James Dalton VC, a former member of the Army Commissary Corps, a predecessor of the Royal Logistic Corps. The barracks were initially oc ...

Denison Barracks

The site was used as an American military hospital during the Second World War and became the home of Royal School of Military Survey in 1949. The barracks were named after General Sir William Denison, a prominent Royal Engineer. In order to cons ...

Drumadd Barracks

The barracks were established on Hamiltonsbawn Road in Armagh in 1975. They became a base for 2nd Battalion, Ulster Defence Regiment in 1976, during the Troubles, and then became headquarters for 3rd Infantry Brigade, who moved from the Mahon Roa ...