ⓘ Free online encyclopedia. Did you know? page 518

Eglise Notre-Dame-de-Confort

The Eglise Notre-Dame-de-Confort was a church in the French city of Lyon, near Place des Jacobins, where a plaque marks its site.

Agidienkirche, Speyer

The Agidienkirche was a church in the German city of Speyer. Dedicated to saint Giles, it was founded around 1140 as part of a hospital complex by bishop Burchard on land owned by himself and his mother in what was then the city outskirts. In 114 ...

Church of St. Peter and St. Paul, Angermunde

It was originally the church of a Franciscan monastery built in the second half of the 13th century and first recorded in 1299. It consists of a nave and a choir and is in the Brick Gothic style. The churchs original roof timbers survive and have ...

SS. Peter and Pauls Church, Gottingen

The Paulinerkirche in the historic city center of Gottingen was completed as a minster in 1304. Today it serves as a convention and exposition centre for the Gottingen State and University Library.

Aghowle Church

It is claimed that a monastery was founded on the site by Finnian of Clonard in the 6th century. They lived in Clochain beehive huts around a wooden church The placename derives from the Irish for "field of apple trees." The present church dates ...

Ardskeagh Church

Local history claims that it is named for Saint Sciath, a virgin saint who founded a convent here in AD 550. The present stone church was built in the 12th century and dedicated to Saint Michael, it appears in the Papal Taxation of 1302. By 1591 ...

Bethesda Chapel, Dublin

The Bethesda chapel was founded by Dublin Merchant William Smyth, nephew of the Bishop of the same name, in 1784. Its development was part of the evangelical movement in the Church of Ireland. It did not get episcopal recognition until 1825. Beth ...

Cannistown Church

Ardsallagh Irish ard saileach, "height of willows" is believed to be on the site of an early Christian monastery founded by Finnian of Clonard in the sixth century, known by various names: Escair-Branain Brenans ridge Ard-bren-n Domnuich Height o ...

Church of St Nicholas Without, (Church of Ireland)

St. Nicholas Without is a former Church of Ireland parish church in Dublin, Ireland. For several hundred years the north transept of St. Patricks Cathedral formed the church, with a wall separating it from the cathedral.

Church of St. Nicholas Within, Dublin

St. Nicholas Within is a former Church of Ireland parish church in Dublin city, Ireland. It was located at the corner of Nicholas St. and Christ Church Place, where part of its entrance may be seen next to the Peace Park. The term may also refer ...

Clonamery Church

St Broonahawn pattern day 16 May founded a monastery at Clonamery. The present church was built in the 9th or 10th century. The Romanesque chancel was added in the 12th century and the building of the vestry to be the 15th / 16th century, and a b ...

Clone Church

Clone Church is built on the site of an earlier monastic foundation by Maedoc of Ferns Aidan, Mogue. It was built in the 13th century in Romanesque style. The sundial was moved to Tintern Abbey in 2001. The window in the Romanesque style, probabl ...

Clonkeen Church

A monastery was founded here by Saint Mo-Diomog feast day 10 December in the 6th or 7th century. The present church dates to the mid-12th century based on its similarity to Aghadoe Cathedral, dated to 1158. The Church was destroyed in 1657.

Coole Upper Churches

This area is associated with two saints, Abban and Dalbach. In coole upper Church is large and was built in the 12th century as a single nave Church and antes. The chancel was added in the 13th century. It has a narrow two-light ogee Windows in E ...

Cruicetown Church

Cruicetown is named after the Cruise family, ancestors of actor Tom Cruise. The church was built c. 1200, as evidenced by the round-headed windows with external rabbets for shutters. A church of the "vill de Cruicetoun" is listed in the ecclesias ...

Fossy Church

The church is rectangular in shape with upstanding walls and gables, with door and window opes, built of uncoursed rubble, with a slight base-batter. A piscina is located in the southeast corner.

Kilcoole Church

Kilcoole Church is located on Lott Lane in the centre of Kilcoole village, 1.5 km 0.93 mi west of the seashore. At 6°03′46″W, it is the easternmost of the Republic of Irelands National Monuments.

Kilcroney Church

There may have been an earlier wooden church on the site, dedicated to Saint Croine, an obscure female saint of the 5th century. The stone Church was built in the 11th century, and pre-Norman patrons of UI Briuin Cualann, or o Ceallaigh of UI Tei ...

Kileenemer Church

The church was built around the 12th century. A change in masonry style in the south wall shows that the church was extended eastwards at some point after its initial construction. The etymology is unclear, perhaps it was originally Cillin Iomair ...

Kilfane Church

The area is supposed to derive its name from a Saint Phian. The Church was built in the 13th century. In Cantwells were Lords of Kilfane and adjoining areas from shortly after the Norman conquest to the confiscations following Confederation. Poet ...

Killeen Church

Archaeological studies indicate that a church stood on the site in the 7th–9th centuries. No trace of it remains. A second phase of activity saw a ringwork constructed on the site, and a church at Killeen is listed in the ecclesiastical taxation ...

Kiltiernan Church

There are no written records of Kiltiernan. It is believed to have been founded by a Saint Tiernan in the 5th century AD, with the surviving stone church dating to the 8th century. When he was dug up, was found a wall not parallel to the Church.

Labbamolaga Church

Adjacent are four megalithic standing stones, erected during the Bronze Age and perhaps part of a stone circle. Local lore claims that they were four thieves who stole the chalice and relics and were turned to stone as punishment! In the 7th cent ...

Liathmore Churches

St Mochoemog d. 655 founded the monastery here. There are two churches and the footings of a round tower. The smaller the Church dates back to the early and early middle ages, the more the Church of the late middle ages and was started in the 12t ...

Old Church of St George, Hill Street Dublin

The Old Church of St. George, commonly called "Little Georges" in Hill Street Parish of St. Mary, Dublin was built in 1668 by the Eccles family for their workmen and also as a chapel-of-ease to the nearby St. Marys Church. However, that St. Marys ...

Ormond Quay Presbyterian church

Ormond Quay Presbyterian Church is a former church located at Ormond Quay, Dublin. There was a bunch of Presbyterians, many of production Scotland, in Dublin around Ormond quay since the beginning of the 18th century, Mr. Arbuckle being the first ...

Raheen-a-Cluig

Raheen-a-Cluig lies on the north face of Bray Head in Raheen Park, about 300 m 330 yd south of the beach, with a commanding view over the coastline.

Ray Church

St Fionnan founded this church in the 6th century. Ray stood next to the Ray River, an ancient boundary between the Cenel Luighdech and Cenel Duach. Four 7th-century abbots of Iona were of the Cenel Duach, Ray was almost certainly their home chur ...

Sheepstown Church

The church at Sheepstown is dedicated to St Muicin, bishop and confessor d. 630. The stone church was built during the 12th or 13th century, at a period when the Irish church was moving from a monastic to a diocesan setup.

St Marys, Dublin (chapel of ease)

St Marys Chapel of Ease, also known as "The Black Church", is a former chapel in Dublin, Ireland. Now deconsecrated, it was a church of the Church of Ireland located on St Marys Place, Broadstone, Dublin. It is constructed from local calp limesto ...

St. Dairbhiles Church

St. Dairbhiles Church was constructed in the 6th century, although the current structure is from the 12th century. According to legend, if someone can squeeze themselves through the West window three times, they never die from drowning. The legen ...

St. Lukes Church, Dublin

In 1708, an act of parliament was passed, dividing the parish of St. Nicholas Without and giving part of it the denomination of St. Lukes. A glebe house was erected on The Coombe for the vicar, who was nominated by the Chapter of St. Patricks Cat ...

St. Marys Church, Callan

St. Marys Church was built c. 1250 by Hugh de Mapilton, Bishop of Ossory. All but the west tower was replaced c. 1460. Carved "Trinity stone" with the image of the Trinity, is one of the few preserved and was created by Rory with OTunny. 1520. It ...

St. Marys Church, Downsmill

St. Marys Church, Downsmill, also called Woodlands Church, is a medieval church and National Monument in the Glen of the Downs, County Wicklow, Ireland.

St. Marys Church, New Ross

Abban built a monastery in the New Ross area in the 6th century, possibly on the site where St. Marys was later built. SV. Marys was completed in 1210 and was founded by William Marshal, 1st Earl of Pembroke and his wife Isabel de Clare, daughter ...

St. Michaels Church, Dublin

A chapel was originally erected by Donat, Archbishop of Dublin, in 1076, which was converted into a parish church by Archbishop Richard Talbot in 1417. It was used by the Corporation of Shoe-makers, a guild. It was situated in High Street, at the ...

St. Mochtas House

Mochta d. AD 535/543 was a disciple of Saint Patrick and established a monastery at Louth village c. 528. There are no physical remains from the early monastery. The ruined buildings at the site today are the 13th century church of St. Marys Prio ...

St. Moluas Church, Killaloe

St. Moluas Church was constructed on Friars Island in the River Shannon, to the south of Killaloe town. In 1929–30 the Shannon hydroelectric scheme raised the water level and submerged Friars Island, and the church was dismantled and brought nort ...

St. Patricks Church, Duleek

St. Patricks Church, Duleek is a medieval church and National Monument in County Meath, Ireland. It is believed to have been the first stone church built in Ireland.

St. Patricks Church, Straffan

St. Patrick’s Church, Straffan was built in the early 13th century. It is recorded that St Patricks was incorporated into the Hospital of Saint John outside Newgate, Dublin c. 1250 which would suggest its construction at an earlier time. The Vica ...

St. Peters Church, Aungier Street, Dublin

St. Peters Church was a former Church of Ireland parish church located in Aungier Street in Dublin, Ireland, where the Dublin YMCA building now stands. It was built on land that formerly belonged to the Whitefriars in Dublin. It served the larges ...

St. Seachnalls Church

The R147 road curves around the church, suggesting that an ancient ecclesiastical enclosure has become fossilised in the street layout. Secundinus was the son of was the son of Restitutus, the Lombard, and Lubaid, traditionally considered the sis ...

Taghmon Church

A monastery was established on the site in the 7th century by Fintan, also called Munna or Munnu. St. Munnas was built as a fortified church in the early 15th century. It was plundered by Farrell Mageoghegan in 1452. After the Reformation the chu ...

Thomastown Church

The church was founded by Thomas FitzAnthony, a Cambro-Norman knight who was granted land here in 1215 by John, King of England and Lord of Ireland. It belonged to Inistioge Augustinian Priory est. 1210. It may also have had Dominican association ...

Tullaroan Church

Tullaroan Parish Church consisted of nave and chancel. Other features sedilia, Gothic doors, and the choir-arch. Decorates the chapel was founded in 1543 sir John Le grace died 1568 and attached to the South side of the Church.

Tullylease Church

A monastery was founded here by St Berechert in the 7th century. Subsequently, in the 12th century, it housed an Augustinian monastery. The name is Irish for "uncovered hillock." It was mentioned in the 1111 Synod of Rath Breasail, which establis ...

Ullard Church

A monastery was supposedly founded on the site in the 7th century by either Saint Mo Ling or Saint Fiacre. A high cross was erected in the 9th century. The stone Church was built in the 12th century and the interior was significantly altered duri ...

San Mattia, Bologna

San Mattia was a former Roman Catholic monastery and church located at 14 via SantIsaia in Bologna, region of Emilia Romagna, Italy. The church was dedicated to Saint Matthias.