ⓘ Free online encyclopedia. Did you know? page 47

Jeffrey Street

Jeffrey Street or Jeffreys Street is a street located in Kirribilli, famous for being one of the most popular vantage points for views of the city skyline of Sydney, the Sydney Harbour Bridge and the Sydney Opera House. The street is located on t ...

Lady Robinsons Beach

Lady Robinsons Beach is the stretch of beach between the mouth of the Cooks River and the mouth of Georges River on the western shore of Botany Bay in Sydney, New South Wales, Australia. Originally known as Seven Mile Beach, it was renamed after ...

Macquarie Culvert

The Macquarie Culvert is a double brick culvert under the original Mrs Macquaries Road in the Royal Botanic Gardens in Sydney, Australia. The culvert was probably built at the same time as the original road, between 1813 and 1816, making it almos ...

Sydney Harbour defences

Sydney Harbour was protected by coastal batteries and other fixed defences from the early 19th century until the 1960s. These defences were constructed to protect the Australian city of Sydney from attack by enemy warships and submarines.

Wallumettagal

The Wallumettagal or Wallumedegal) tribe was an indigenous Aboriginal tribe that inhabited the area of Sydney today known as the Ryde–Hunters Hill area of the Northern Suburbs. Common Aboriginal names in this part of Lower Northern Sydney also in ...

Footscray Park

Footscray Park is one of the largest and most intact examples of an Edwardian park in Australia. The 15-hectare park is located on the south bank of the Maribyrnong River in Footscray in Victoria. It is classified as a heritage place on the Victo ...

Heritage in Brunswick

Being one of the oldest suburbs of Melbourne, Australia, Brunswick has a large number of places of heritage significance, in the form of individual buildings as well as urban conservation precincts covering entire streets or substantial parts of ...

Laur Kingdom

The Kingdom of Laur was one of the many petty kingdoms of the Sylhet region. Others included the Gour Kingdom, Ita Kingdom, Taraf Kingdom, Pratapgarh Kingdom and Jaintia Kingdom.

Paulistas

Paulistas are the inhabitants of the state of São Paulo, Brazil, and of its antecessor the Capitaincy of São Vicente, whose capital early shifted from the village of São Vicente to the one of São Paulo dos Campos de Piratininga.

History of Rio de Janeiro

Several years after the Portuguese first explored Brazil, French traders in search of pau-brasil reached the rich area extending from the Cape Frio coast to the beaches and islands of Guanabara Bay, the economic and, above all, strategic importan ...

History of Kyustendil

The history of Kyustendil as a settlement has been around for 8000 years and as a city for 2000 years. It is divided into ancient, medieval and modern. The city is known mostly for Constantine Dragash, whose name is. Konstantin Dragas-grandfather ...

Sanjak of Kyustendil

The Sanjak of Kyustendil was an Ottoman administrative-territorial unit that existed from 1395 to 1878. It included the former lands of Konstantin Dragash - Province of the Dejanovic family. In Kyustendil Sanjak had the most number of Sipahi in t ...

History of Plovdiv

The city of Plovdiv is situated in southern Bulgaria. During its long history it has been conquered by numerous peoples: Thracians, Macedon, Romans, Byzantines, Bulgarians, Ottoman Turks which contributed to the citys various historical heritage.

Varna Monastery

Varna Monastery is a large preserved early medieval monastery complex, opened near Varna, Bulgaria, with the status of a cultural monument of national importance for Bulgaria since 2015.

Macedonian Orthodox Cathedral of the Dormition of the Virgin Mary

The "Macedonian Orthodox Cathedral of the Dormition of the Virgin Mary"), also known as "St. Mary", is a Macedonian Orthodox Church located in Reynoldsburg, Ohio. It is one of the oldest Macedonian Orthodox communities in the United States and in ...

Sts. Cyril & Methody Macedonian Orthodox Church, Blasdell, New York

Sts. Cyril and Methody is a Macedonian Orthodox church located in Blasdell, New York, just outside of Buffalo. The church serves a community of approximately 4.000 Macedonian-Americans within Western New York as well as portions of Western Pennsy ...

Macedonian refugees in Atalanti

The Macedonian refugees in Atalanti were a compact population from the Macedonia region, settled in the town of Atalanti after the establishment of the independent Kingdom of Greece. 5 Nov 1826, in port Atalanti, came "Thessalomacedonians" Θεσσαλ ...

Malamirovo Inscription

Malamirovo or Hambarli Inscription is a Bulgarian Greek inscription of around 813 AD, commemorating Bulgarian victories of Krum over the Byzantines, now preserved in the Varna Archaeological Museum.

History of Brampton

Following is an outline is for the history of Brampton, the fourth largest city in Ontario, Canada. European settlers arrived began to settle the area in the early 19th century, with Brampton being formally incorporated into a village in 1853.

Toronto Gore Township, Ontario

Toronto Gore came into existence as a township in 1819 when it was separated from Chinguacousy Township. In 1867 it became part of Peel County when that county was split from York County. A small wedge-shaped tract of land, Toronto Gore was locat ...

Canadian federal election results in Calgary

Calgary is by far the most conservative major city in Canada. This political leaning goes back to the days prior to Albertas creation as a province, when what was to become Southern Alberta the Kickinghorse Pass was selected over Central Alberta ...

History of Charlottetown

The History of Charlottetown can be traced back to the original French military settlement established on the site in 1720. Over the years Charlottetown has grown to become the largest and most important city on Prince Edward Island.

History of Edmonton

The first inhabitants settled in the area that is now Edmonton, Alberta, Canada around 3.000 BC and perhaps as early as 10.000 BC, when an ice-free corridor opened up as the last ice age ended and timber, water, and wildlife became available in t ...

Canadian federal election results in Edmonton and environs

Edmonton is far friendlier to centre-left parties than the rest of Alberta. It is the current base of the provincial NDP. The NDP scored an upset victory in the 2015 provincial election primarily by taking all of Edmonton, and held all but one Ed ...

Amalgamation of the Halifax Regional Municipality

The amalgamation of four municipalities on April 1, 1996, was the creation of the Halifax Regional Municipality, Nova Scotia, Canada. It resulted in the regional municipalitys current boundaries.

Chebucto Head, Nova Scotia

Chebucto Head is a Canadian headland on Nova Scotias Chebucto Peninsula located within the community of Duncans Cove, Nova Scotia. Chebucto head forms the easternmost point on the Peninsula and is used to define the South-Western limit of Halifax ...

Dartmouth Marine Slips

The Dartmouth Marine Slips was an historic shipyard and marine railway which operated in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia between 1859 and 2003. It was noted for important wartime work during the American Civil War as well as during the Battle of the Atlan ...

Fergusons Cove, Nova Scotia

Fergusons Cove is a suburban community within the Halifax Regional Municipality Nova Scotia on the western shore of Halifax Harbour between Purcells Cove and Herring Cove along Route 253. The first 3 digits of the postal code in the area are B3V.

Fort Clarence (Nova Scotia)

Fort Clarence was a British coastal fort built in 1754 at the beginning of the French and Indian War in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, Canada. The battery was built on the grant of Capt. John Rous. Initially it had 8 guns mounted. In the spring of 1759, ...

History of the Halifax Regional Municipality

The Halifax Regional Municipality was formed in 1996 by an amalgamation of the former City of Halifax, the City of Dartmouth, the Town of Bedford, and the separate Halifax County Municipality. Hence, the History of the Halifax Regional Municipali ...

Naval Air Station Halifax

NAS Halifax was established in August 1918 by Richard E. Byrd in the months following the United States entry into World War I. United States Naval Aviation briefly operated the base on the shores of Halifax Harbour, adjacent to RCAF Station Dart ...

NRS Albro Lake

Naval Radio Station Albro Lake was a naval radio station operated by the Royal Canadian Navy. Established in 1942 nearby attractions of the lake, then several kilometres North of the city of Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, NSP attractions of the lake was ...

Hamilton East (electoral district)

Hamilton East was a federal electoral district in Ontario, Canada. It was represented in the House of Commons of Canada from 1904 to 2004. It consisted of the eastern part of the city of Hamilton, Ontario. It is considered a working class district.

History of Hamilton, Ontario

Hamilton, from the point at which it was first colonized by settlers, has benefited from its geographical proximity to major land and water transportation routes along the Niagara Peninsula and Lake Ontario. Its strategic importance has created, ...

Timeline of events in Hamilton, Ontario

1790- Richard Beasley occupied Burlington Heights now the site of Dundurn and Harvey Parks in 1790 & was granted land by the Crown in 1799. A local entrepreneur, Beasleys business ventures included fur trading, land acquisition and establishment ...

Abernethy Priory

The villages name is Brythonic, and means "mouth aber of the Nethy". The earliest recorded form being Apurnethige. The Nethy Burn flows down from the Ochil Hills past the present village. The name of the Nethy is believed to be cognate with that ...

History of Lethbridge

The modern history of Lethbridge extends to the mid-19th century, when the area was developed from drift mines opened by Nicholas Sheran in 1874, and the North Western Coal and Navigation Company in 1882. Prior to the development of drift mines i ...

Coat of arms of Lethbridge

The Coat of arms of Lethbridge is an official symbol of the city of Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada. It was designed by Reverend John Stanley Chivers and adopted on September 16, 1907. The shield is a circle with three divisions, blue azure, red and ...

History of Moncton

The history of Moncton extends back thousands of years, with its first inhabitants being the First Nations of the region, such as the Mikmaq. Located in New Brunswick, Monctons motto is Resurgo, which is Latin for I rise again. This motto was ori ...

History of Montreal

The history of Montreal, located in the province of Quebec, Canada, spans about 800 years. At the time of European contact, the area was inhabited by the St. Lawrence Iroquoians, a discrete and distinct group of Iroquoian-speaking indigenous peop ...

Faubourg à mlasse

Le Faubourg à mlasse was a neighborhood in Montreal until 1963. The neighborhood was bordered by Dorchester Boulevard to the North, Wolfe Street to the West, Viger Avenue to the South, and Papineau Avenue to the East.

Montreal Academy of Music

Montreal Academy of Music was a theatre/concert hall in Montreal, Quebec, Canada that dated from the late 19th century to the early 20th century. The hall was situated on the east side of Victoria Street just north of Saint Catherine Street. It w ...

Oxford Park, Montreal

Oxford Park is a park in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. It is located in the southern part of the Notre-Dame-de-Grace neighbourhood in the borough of Cote-des-Neiges–Notre-Dame-de-Grace. While known informally as Oxford Park for many years, with activ ...

History of Quebec City

The history of Quebec City extends back thousands of years, with its first inhabitants being the First Nations peoples of the region. The arrival of French explorers in the 16th century eventually led to the establishment of Quebec City, in prese ...

Habitation de Quebec

Habitation de Quebec was an ensemble of buildings interconnected by Samuel de Champlain when he founded Quebec during 1608. The site is located in what is now Vieux-Quebec. It was located near the site of the abandoned First Nations village of St ...

History of Regina, Saskatchewan

The history of Regina, Saskatchewan, the capital of the Canadian province of Saskatchewan. Prior to the provinces establishment, Regina served was the territorial headquarters of the then-North-West Territories and district headquarters of the te ...