ⓘ Free online encyclopedia. Did you know? page 31

List of Denver and Rio Grande Western Railroad lines

The following rail lines have been owned or operated by the Denver and Rio Grande Western Railroad or its predecessors. Denver-Pueblo Joint Line: Denver Union Station to Pueblo OBriens Quarry Spur: Hathaway to OBriens Quarry. Lehigh Branch: Louvi ...

Alamosa–Durango line

The Alamosa–Durango line or San Juan extension was a railroad line built by the Denver and Rio Grande Western Railroad, following the border between the U.S. states of Colorado and New Mexico, in the Rocky Mountains. The line was originally built ...

Cisco, Utah

The town started in the 1880s as a saloon and water-refilling station for the Denver and Rio Grande Western Railroad. As work crews and, later, travelers came through, stores, hotels and restaurants sprang up to accommodate them. Nearby cattle ra ...

Crescent Junction, Utah

Crescent Junction is a small unincorporated community within Grand County in the eastern part of the U.S. state of Utah. The community is located at 4.882 feet above sea level. Crescent Junction is the more common name of the town for road transp ...

Provo Canyon

Provo Canyon is located in unincorporated Utah County and Wasatch County, Utah. Provo Canyon runs between Mount Timpanogos on the north and Mount Cascade on the south. The canyon extends from Orem on the west end to Heber City on the east. Provo ...

Tucker, Utah

Tucker is a ghost town located near the east end of Spanish Fork Canyon in Utah County, Utah, United States 7 miles below Soldier Summit on U.S. Route 6. It was once an important loading point and construction camp on the Denver and Rio Grande We ...

Coach gun

A coach gun is a modern term, coined by gun collectors, for a double-barreled shotgun, generally with barrels from 18" to 24" in length placed side-by-side. These weapons were known as "cut-down shotguns" or "messengers guns" from the use of such ...

Colt 1851 Navy Revolver

The Colt Revolving Belt Pistol of Naval Caliber, later known as the Colt 1851 Navy or Navy Revolver, is a cap and ball revolver that was designed by Samuel Colt between 1847 and 1850. Colt first called this Revolver the Ranger model, but the desi ...

Colt Army Model 1860

The Colt Army Model 1860 is a cap & ball.44-caliber single-action revolver used during the American Civil War made by Colts Manufacturing Company. It was used as a side arm by cavalry, infantry, artillery troops, and naval forces.

Colt Buntline

The Colt Buntline Special is a long-barreled variant of the Colt Single Action Army revolver, which Stuart N. Lake described in his best-selling but largely fictionalized 1931 biography, Wyatt Earp: Frontier Marshal. According to Lake, the dime n ...

Colt House Revolver

The Colt House Revolver was one of the first metallic cartridge rear-loading revolvers to be produced by the Colts Patent Fire Arms Manufacturing Company, back in 1871. The same year, Colts also patented the Colt Open Top, another metallic cartri ...

Colt Lightning Carbine

The Colt Lightning Carbine or Colt Lightning Rifle was a slide-action rifle manufactured by Colt from 1884 to 1904 and was originally chambered in.44-40 caliber. Colt eventually made the Lightning Rifle in three different frame sizes, to accommod ...

Colt M1861 Navy

The Colt Model 1861 Navy cap & ball.36-caliber revolver was a six-shot, single-action percussion weapon produced by Colts Manufacturing Company from 1861 until 1873. It incorporated the "creeping" or ratchet loading lever and round barrel of the. ...

Colt M1878

The Colt M1878 is a double-action revolver that was manufactured by Colts Manufacturing Company from 1878 to 1907. It is often referred to as the "Frontier" or the "Double Action Army" revolver. A total of 51.210 Model 1878 revolvers were manufac ...

Colt Model 1839 Carbine

The Colt Model 1839 Carbine is an early percussion revolving smoothbore carbine manufactured by the Patent Arms Manufacturing Company between 1838 and 1841. Produced alongside the Colt Second Model Ring Lever rifle, the Model 1839 was the most po ...

Colt Model 1855 Sidehammer Pocket Revolver

The Colt Model 1855 Sidehammer, also known as the Colt Root Revolver after engineer Elisha K. Root, was a cap & ball single-action pocket revolver used during the American Civil War and made by the Colts Patent Fire Arms Manufacturing Company in ...

Colt Model 1871-72 Open Top

The Colt Model 1871-72 Open Top is a metallic cartridge rear-loading.44-caliber revolver introduced in 1872 by the Colts Patent Fire Arms Manufacturing Company. This handgun was developed following two patents, the first one in 1871 and the secon ...

Colt Open Top Pocket Model Revolver

The Colt Open Top Pocket Model Revolver was a single action pocket revolver introduced by the Colts Patent Fire Arms Manufacturing Company in 1871. Introduced a year before the Colt Open Top and two years before the Colt Peacemaker and the Colt N ...

Colt Paterson

The Colt Paterson is a revolver. It was the first commercial repeating firearm employing a revolving cylinder with multiple chambers aligned with a single, stationary barrel. Its design was patented by Samuel Colt on February 25, 1836, in the Uni ...

Colts New Model Revolving rifle

The Colt New Model Revolving rifles were early repeating rifles produced by the Colts Manufacturing Company from 1855 until 1864. The design was essentially similar to revolver type pistols, with a rotating cylinder that held five or six rounds i ...

Colt Walker

The Colt Walker, sometimes known as the Walker Colt, is a single-action revolver with a revolving cylinder holding six charges of black powder behind six bullets. It was designed in 1846 as a collaboration between Captain Samuel Hamilton Walker a ...

Colt-Burgess rifle

The Colt-Burgess rifle, also known as the 1883 Burgess rifle or simply the Burgess rifle, is a lever-action repeating rifle produced by Colts Patent Firearms Manufacturing Company between 1883 and 1885. The Burgess rifle was Colts only entrance i ...

Gallery gun

A gallery gun, Flobert gun, parlor gun or saloon gun is a type of firearm designed for recreational indoor target shooting. These guns were developed in 1845, when French inventor Louis-Nicolas Flobert created the first rimfire metallic cartridge ...

M1819 Hall rifle

The M1819 Hall rifle was a single-shot breech-loading rifle designed by John Hancock Hall, patented on May 21, 1811, and adopted by the U.S. Army in 1819. It was preceded by the Harpers Ferry Model 1803. It used a pivoting chamber breech design a ...

Pepper-box

The pepper-box revolver or simply pepperbox is a multiple-barrel repeating firearm that has three or more barrels which revolve around a central axis. It mostly appears in the form of a multi-shot handheld firearm. Pepperboxes exist in all ammuni ...

Remington Model 1858

The Remington-Beals Model Revolvers along with subsequent models and variations were percussion revolvers manufactured by Eliphalet Remington & Sons in.31.36 or.44 caliber, used during the American Civil War, and was the beginning of a successful ...

Remington Model 1875

Remington Model 1875 Single Action Army was a revolver by E. Remington & Sons. It was based upon the successful New Model Army with both revolvers having the same size, appearance, and the removable cylinder. The new 1875 Remington differed mainl ...

Sharps rifle

Sharps rifles are a series of large-bore single-shot rifles, beginning with a design by Christian Sharps in 1848, and ceasing production in 1881. They were renowned for long-range accuracy. By 1874 the rifle was available in a variety of calibers ...

Slocum revolver

The Slocum Revolver in cal. 32 rimfire was an attempt to circumvent the Rollin White patent. This 5-shot pocket revolver was made 1864 to 1864 by the Brooklyn Arms Co, Brooklyn, New York. Total quantity is estimated to have been more than 10.000 ...

Smith & Wesson Safety Hammerless

The Smith & Wesson Safety Hammerless or Smith & Wesson New Departure is a double-action revolver that was produced from 1887 to 1940 by Smith & Wesson. Based on the Smith & Wesson Model 2 double-action design, the revolver incorporated an interna ...

Spencer repeating rifle

The Spencer repeating rifles and carbines were early American lever-action firearms invented by Christopher Spencer. The Spencer was the worlds first military metallic cartridge repeating rifle, and over 200.000 examples were manufactured in the ...

Springfield Model 1840 flintlock musket

The Springfield Model 1840 flintlock musket was manufactured in Springfield. The.69 caliber musket had a 42-inch barrel, an overall length of 58 inches, and a weight of 9.8 pounds. More than 30.000 were produced by the Springfield Armory and two ...

Springfield Model 1855

The Springfield Model 1855 was a rifle musket widely used in the American Civil War. It exploited the advantages of the new conical Minie ball, which could be deadly at over 1.000 yards. About 60.000 of these rifles were made, and it was a standa ...

Springfield Model 1861

The Springfield Model 1861 was a Minie-type rifled musket shoulder-arm used by the United States Army and Marine Corps during the American Civil War. Commonly referred to as the "Springfield", it was the most widely used U.S. Army weapon during t ...

Springfield Model 1863

The Springfield Model 1863 is a.58 caliber rifled musket manufactured by the Springfield Armory between 1863 and 1865. The model 1863 was only a minor improvement over the Springfield model 1861. As such, it is sometimes classified as just a vari ...

Springfield Model 1865

The Springfield Model 1865 was an early breech-loading rifle manufactured by U.S. Armory in Springfield, Massachusetts. It was a modification of the Springfield rifled musket Model 1861. It was later replaced with the Model 1866.

Springfield model 1870

The Springfield model 1870 was one of several model "trapdoor Springfields", which used the trapdoor breechblock design developed by Erskine S. Allin. The model 1870 was a minor improvement to the Springfield Model 1868, and retained most of the ...

Winchester Hotchkiss

The Winchester Hotchkiss was a bolt-action repeating rifle patented by Benjamin B. Hotchkiss in 1876 and produced by the Winchester Repeating Arms Company and Springfield Armory from 1878. The Hotchkiss, like most early bolt-actions, had a single ...

Winchester Model 1886

The Winchester Model 1886 was a lever-action repeating rifle designed by John Browning to handle some of the more powerful cartridges of the period. Originally chambered in.45-70.45-90 WCF and.40-82 WCF, it was later offered in a half dozen other ...

Chahta Tamaha, Indian Territory

Chahta Tamaha was an important town in the Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory that served as the Choctaw capital from 1863 to 1883. The town grew up around the Armstrong Academy. The townsite is located in present-day Bryan County, Oklahoma. Today ...

Fort Reno (Oklahoma)

Fort Reno is a former United States Army cavalry post west of El Reno, Oklahoma. It is named for General Jesse L. Reno, who died at the Battle of South Mountain in the American Civil War.

Hitchcock County, Sequoyah

Hitchcock County was a proposed political subdivision created by the Sequoyah Constitutional Convention. The convention, meeting in Muskogee, Indian Territory in 1905, established the political and administrative layout of a prospective U.S. stat ...

Jacks Fork County

Jacks Fork County, also known as Jack Fork County, was a political subdivision of the Choctaw Nation of Indian Territory. The county formed part of the nations Pushmataha District, or Third District, one of three administrative super-regions. Cou ...

Kiamitia County

Kiamitia County, also known as Kiamichi County, was a political subdivision of the Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory. The county formed part of the nations Pushmataha District, or Third District, one of three administrative super-regions. Kiamitia ...

Nashoba County, Indian Territory

Nashoba County was a political subdivision of the Choctaw Nation of Indian Territory. The county formed part of the Nation’s Apukshunnubbee District, or Second District, one of three administrative super-regions in the Nation. This territory was ...

Quapaw Indian Agency

The Quapaw Indian Agency was a territory that included parts of the present-day Oklahoma counties of Ottawa and Delaware. Established in the late 1830s as part of lands allocated to the Cherokee Nation, this area was later leased by the federal g ...

Sulphur Springs, Indian Territory

Sulphur Springs was a Choctaw Indian community formerly existing in the Choctaw Nation of Indian Territory. It was located 3/4 mile south-southeast of the highway intersection of OK 3 and OK 93 in present-day Rattan, in Pushmataha County, Oklahom ...

California Column

The California Column was a force of Union volunteers sent to Arizona and New Mexico during the American Civil War. The command marched over 900 miles from California through Arizona and New Mexico Territory to the Rio Grande and as far east as E ...

District of California

The District of California was a Union Army command department formed during the American Civil War. The district was part of the Department of the Pacific, the commander of the department also being District commander. The district was created a ...

District of Oregon (military)

The District of Oregon was part of the independent Department of the Pacific reconstituted by consolidating the Departments of California and Oregon, which was created on January 15, 1861 when the Army was reorganized. The district was created th ...